Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSN Messenger on client computer

Hi all

I can't seem to use either voice conversation or video conversation on MSN Messenger.

Is this a limitation of using Messenger on a client computer?? Does anyone else have this working properly?

NB: I can do normal instant messaging (chat) fine.

Help appreciated!!

What is your internet connection?

What is the internet connection of those you are trying to converse with?

Comment

Originally posted by jcman
      Hi all

I can't seem to use either voice conversation or video conversation on MSN Messenger.

Is this a limitation of using Messenger on a client computer?? Does anyone else have this working properly?

NB: I can do normal instant messaging (chat) fine.

Help appreciated!!
      The only way to video conferencing on MSN is with netmeeting.
      As for the voice, well it will work with some ppl but not so go with others.
      Sometimes it has to do with the firewall you're using or they r using.

Comment

I am on Bigpond ADSL 512.

The friend I am messaging has ADSL in Hong Kong. He can use voice and video with other people but we can't connect together. I figure the problem is my end because I am on a network (client).

I am also using Zonealarm.

Any other ideas?

Comment

Have you tried turning Zonealarm off to see if it makes the difference?

Just another suggestion, have you tried using Yahoo? I have no problem with it in that area, as I've found with ppl using firewalls it does cause problems in Netmeeting but not it Yahoo.

Comment

if you are both behind firewalls/netservers it will not work, you will need to setup port forwarding and dynamic port allocations for one end and that end must host the meeting.

the easiest way is to have one end directly connected to the internet.

Comment

Do you know of a good guide on the net / program that will show me how to do this (port forward etc)?

Or do I have to use something like Winroute Lite - rather than the Win XP ICS I am currently using?

:cheers:

Comment

not too sure myself, i know of how to do it with MS proxy and maybe with winroute pro (i tried but we were unsuccessful)

basically its very difficult when you are behind a firewall

a quick google and check at mskb got me these links to name a few:
                http://search.support.microsoft.com/...onID=anonymous|39806257

Comment

I don't know if this is relavent to you or not but I found it interesting just the same. ;)
                  from Logitech website for those using Windows XP
                  [b]NOTE: MSN Messenger will only transmit video to other Windows XP users. If you would like to transmit video to other Windows operating system, download and install Yahoo! Messenger. Yahoo! Messenger can be downloaded from the Yahoo! Website.
                  <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

sounds more like a yahoo promo to me ;)

Comment

I'm not going to say, "I told you so".
                      Honestly, Yahoo is so much easier to use with the mic and video conferencing. I don't find MSN to be all that reliable with either one. Then again, Palktalk isn't too bad either.

Comment

Working...
                      X