Stop Focus stealing websites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop Focus stealing websites

I had this problem with internet explorer. Some web pages stole focus from other web pages, this was annoying when you opened mulitple windows as you couldn't read anything until all the other windows were loaded. After looking around the internet for a quick fix i found nothing. I then went diving into the registry and found nothing to fix the problem.

But all was not lost, i did fix the problem quite easily in the end. And for all those people who i know suffer the same problem will be kicking themselves they haven't done this.

Open internet explorer. Go to tools>interent options>advanced, in the advanced tab under browsing uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)".

Please take note of the requires restart. It will not work until you completely close your browser. Close all browser windows and make sure "iexplore.exe" is not an active process.

(You can check to see whether internet explorer is active in the background by pressing ctrl-alt-del and click on the processes tab. If iexplore is still running right-click on it and press "end process")

PS.
    A moderator should stick this window at the top, this internet explorer problem is the most comon cause of interent rage.

You can join the ppl here, http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...&threadid=3145 , with that prob though neither of mine has done this yet. :?:

Comment

hmm, interesting -- I wonder if this will affect any useful functions?
      I'm willing to give it a whirl and see what happens --- OK, unchecked the option......but I haven't commited myself to the restart yet:D
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I don't think it has any useful functions. With third-party browser extensions diabled, flash animations and java applets still work.

Comment

hmmmmm yer post sounds too much like a sales pitch, i was expecting you to say we needed to buy evidence elimenator or somefin

Comment

Buying something wouldn't be a soloution i would give to solve a problem. But yeah the post seems a little bit sales-pitchy.

Comment

Hmm. one co-worked disabled 3rd party browser extensions and was pissed that it disabled Hotbar, the google toolbar and Yahoo toolbar.

Comment

It is to be suspected that the potential is there for this tweak to affect surfing in a negative way depending on what 3rd parties you may be relying on.

I haven't tested extensively yet (ooh, I need a day off work) but so far focus hasn't been stolen when I used this technique.
                The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Yea, I can't live without my google toolbar. Displays the relevance and credibility of every page you go to, tells you what type of a site it is, (what its subject matter is) Tweaktowns rating recently increased to a rating of 7 out of 10 ! :eek: (a rank boosted by the slashdot like no doubt-haha) That is tied with www.dansdata.com ... 7/10 is quite a feat.

Comment

Not to mention the other features, which go on and on, but the real time highlight word option, as well as searching JUST within the site you are at with never leaving the site. Well worth the space at the top of the screen.

Comment

Interesting, I never needed a search engine to tell me if a site was any good though. Kinda' like a movie review......I'd rather decide those things for myself.

Guess that makes me kinda' old-fashioned, huh:?:

Comment

That makes two of us then. ;)

Comment

Ahh Mr. C you missed my point.

Given that the internet is so vast, it is extremely valulable to have a tool that proves the relative credability of a site. Google calls their system 'PageRank' Here is a very brief description on how Pagerank works, and why it is NEVER wrong.

Google has downloaded every web page. Literally. Their thousands of computers then tally how many times EVERY page has been linked TO. These numbers go into a forumula, and so it finds sites like NASA (which have been linked to by MILLIONS of pages) and determines that NASA is most likely a renound and trusted souce of information. (Moreso than a page linked by 1,000 sites) Now, pages that NASA links to instantly see a boost, because clearly Nasa would not be linking to a page containing pure garbage infomation. These two aspects go into the formula to rank the page on a scale from 1 - 10.

That is a very brief, but you can read more here: http://www.google.com/technology/

NOW! Here is why this rank is so extremely helpful to anyone using the internet:

If I am looking for information, I don't have time to read 200 pages and then decide for myself what is true. ESPECIALLY if I know little on the Subject matter! So while your most recent comment Mr. C sounds nice and good and wise, clearly there are some Logistics you have not taken into consideration.

======

On a different forum I frequent, someone posted a 'news link' to a site that made some very outrageous claims about a large religion, and how they were following some rediculous prophecy, and most of the forum started discussing about how they thought the religion should be stopped, (completely believing this site that appeared to be similar to www.cnn.com)

BUT! A quick look at the page rank, and the imposter was revealed as a 1/10, and therefore a page that has no credibility in discussing the actions of the religion it claimed to represent, and therefore a Hoax.

==============

Now I am not claiming that I judge every site by its pagerank, I merely use it to make sure that various sites I am at ARE what they CLAIM to be.

If someone directed me to a e-Tailer, and their page rank was very low, That is a perfect indicator that the site has not, and IS not widely used.

=========

And no, it is not like a movie review at all.

Comment

this has been annoying me for weeks - thanks for the tip
                            http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

That's a lot of typing zeradul, just to say I'm old-fashioned;)

Comment

Working...
                              X