Overclocking Athlon XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking Athlon XP

I'm new to overclocking. I have a few questions regarding overclocking.

1) I saw many people unlocked their Athlon XP CPU, and then set the cpu with a lower multiplier and increased the FSB. Is it true that increasing the multiplier will result an extremely hot and unstable system? But if I set the cpu multiplier higher and increase the FSB a little bit, wouldn't it perform better and more stable since I will not overclock the AGP and PCI buses too much?

2) I saw some articles say that AMD Athlon XP 1600-1900 share the same core. They should be identical to each other except their locked multipliers. If a person can overclocked a unlocked Athlon XP 1600 to Athlon XP 1900, then why would that person buy a AMD Athlon XP 1900 for overclocking? I'm curious.

3) If I want to overclock an unlocked Athlon XP 1900(1.6 GHz) to 2000MHz. What motherboard, cpu heatsink, and RAM should I use? I am thinking of getting a ABIT KX7-333R motherboard, Thermaltake Volcano 7+, and 512 MB Xtreme DDR PC2700. And what VCore and VMem should I use for this setup?

4) What is the Athlon XP stepping(AGOIA)? Where can I buy a AGOIA cpu?

Please give me any comments/suggestions. Thanks! :hammer:

1/ Athlons don't really have the headroom that they use to to bother raisin' the multiplier but with the better KT333 based motherboards there's another divider at 166MHz (eg: Epox 8K3A/+) which is a good reason to lower it plus putting the strain of overclocking over the whole system is better than just on the CPU. ;)

2/ AMD tests the cores after they're built and determines which speed the core is stable which is where they lock it at for warranty and stability reasons. My 1800+ is running at 2100+ very easily though. :D

3/ That should be easy enough to do without unlockin' the CPU with what you have listed there though what voltage increases, if any, are something that goes on an individual basis as no two setups will act the same. Also using the FSB to overclock gives you greater bandwidth than just raising the multiplier, my 1800+ is runnin' a 150MHz FSB (PC No.2 in sig). :devil:

4/ Yes that is one stepping but finding one of that will probably be difficult though the reliability of going by the steppings with Palamino cores is not as reliable as with the T'bird cores, my stepping is AGNGA and I didn't pick it out and I havn't tried to push it to it's limits yet either. As yet I have to find a bad one but some people have good steppings but they don't perform as well as others, its really more luck. Do be sure to use the best quality components you can get will usually always give the best results too. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

yea different steppings don;t guarantee overclocking but some greatly improve the chances of getting a good o/c...
      for e.g any AGOIA cpu has a very high chance of hitting 1.9ghz or more with the right setup...whereas one of the first stepping...AGKGA i tihnk is one...typically don;t o/c very much:cheers:

Comment

First of all, you wont get that XP 1900 to 2GHZ off air cooling, trust me, if you have REALLY good air cooling you will be very lucky to get it up to 1.9ghz and stable at that. Second of all, your preferences of stepping would be as follows

ARIOA Y
        AGIOA
        AGOGA

Comment

why not try a throughbred...its .13, should get a better o/c but not guarentee though, although, they are more expensive

Comment

AMD has still got to refine the 0.13 micron process yet for that as to many ppl are gettin' wildly varying results so far. :smokin:

Comment

Yeh T-Breds are not selling very well at the moment, anyway, you would want to wait for better steppings on them as well, the first steppings for chips generally suk

Comment

For the best possible overclock, if you could get a super specific core, get one that says AGOIA 0204 9 (for 1600+) or AGOIA 0216 Y (i think its Y).... They will most likely give the best overclocks of all Athlons, although all AGOIA 1600/1700+ get giant overclocks (usually!!) so it might vary..
                Remeber that overclocking is luck of the draw!
                And for a giant overclock with one of them, you will need a handy VCore boost, and a DECENT air cooler like a MCX462 or a Alpha PAL8045 or a AX7/SLK 800 etc

Comment

yep well sed:D

Comment

I heard that AMD is working on a 2nd revision of the .13 micron process and some of the early tests are promising, showing better results than the 1st T-breds. Anyone else hear anything about that?

:cheers:

Comment

Take a look at this thread, http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...;threadid=3801 , pcmkr. ;)

Comment

That's exactly what I was talkin about Wiggo;) Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by pcmkr
                          That's exactly what I was talkin about Wiggo;) Thanks!

What is the heat genarate from your CPU ? As i got this problem.. HELP!

Comment

Maybe it would be a good idea samyamaha to give us full detaiis of your system and what temps you are getting at both idle and under full load. ;)

Comment

Re: Overclocking Athlon XP

Very quickly, without looking at the specific settings, I can tell you that my XP 1900 o/c'd to 2.2GHz w/out even changing the multipliers. I have some ASUS motherboard (have 2 look later) & 512MB of some off brand memory and normal cooling that's found in most new comp. 2day. so it shouldn't b 2 hard 4 u 2 o/c ur XP 1900 to well over 2GHz w/out even spending a great deal of money.

Comment

Working...
                              X