Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Question about FIC AZ11e board

Hey everyone,

At FIC's website, it is said that the AZ11E motherboard does not support 133/266 FSB. If you want the 133/266 FSB, you Have to buy their next model (AZ11EA). Well. I bought a FIC AZ11E for my girlfriend and I noticed that there is in fact a jumper for 133 FSB. I was wondering if anyone tested an athlon running at 133/266 FSB. If so.. how Fast of a processor does this motherboard support?

Any Input would be great
    Thanx

WOW... this is a blast from the past. :)

The FIC AZ11E motherboard is based on the dated KT133 chipset. It was basically the chipset that began the craze toward the AMD Thunderbird and made it so popular with the enthusiast crowd. But it was very limiting on the overclocking side.

So, they brought out the AZ11EA which uses the KT133A chipset. The little "A" at the end of the chipset designator made a world of difference when it comes to overclocking the processor.

When they say that the AZ11E doesn't support 133MHz FSB settings, they're on the money. If you can even get your board to load Windows at this setting, then consider yourself either very lucky or incredibly gifted. When I ran my old KT133 board at 133, it normally crapped out immediately. The highest that I could get it to run with any measure of stability was about 112-114MHz.

Basically, your board has the jumper because the two boards are identical except for the chipset. It's cheaper to have a single board design rather than two different ones.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

But I'm not talking about overclocking. I am talking about getting a Processor that supports 266FSB and Ram that supports it too. But if you say it wont work, then I'll take your word for it before buying a new processor. So The board might actually be able to support athlon 1.4 (200mhz)? or is it really limited to 900mhz?

Comment

But I'm not talking about overclocking. I am talking about getting a Processor that supports 266FSB and Ram that supports it too.
        It amounts to the same thing. Whether your processor "officially" supports the 133/266NHz standard or not is moot. The motherboard's chipset itself is the limiting factor here. It cannot handle the 133MHz FSB settings with any degree of stability. If you want to try it out yourself, then just crank up the FSB to 133MHz and see if the system craps out on you.

So The board might actually be able to support athlon 1.4 (200mhz)? or is it really limited to 900mhz?
        I can't say for sure since I haven't used the FIC boards. The board I was referring to earlier was made by Abit. But check in the BIOS and see what multipliers are supported. If it can reach the 14x multiplier, then you should be able to use the 1.4GHz processor. If it doesn't, then check out the FIC site and see if there is an updated BIOS that will allow you to stretch your limits a bit higher.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Working...
        X