PDA

View Full Version : CPU Too Hot!! - Please help!

pcmkr
07-20-2002, 02:26 AM
I just finished putting together my new system yesterday and booted it up. It turned on but no video. I proceeded to check all the connections and everything looked good. :confused: I let it sit for a few mins and turned it on again, this time everything seemed to be working. I went into the BIOS to check all the temps to make sure it was ok. The CPU temp was reading 75-80C Ahhhh!!:eek: So far I'm thinking I need to remount the HSF, I possibly did it wrong, although I did take my time the first time. I was also wondering if it is something weird with my mobo CPU temp sensor, I remember reading about that somewhere. It's kinda strange since the CompuNurse sensor on the CPU only read about 46-47C.
I'll give as much info as I can so it's easier for you to give me some suggestions/advice. Thanks in advance!! :)

My temps were as follows:
Room Temp - 28C
Case Air Temp - 31C
CPU Temp in Mobo BIOS - 80C
Compu Nurse reading CPU Temp - 47C

Anyone with suggestions, I will take all I can get. Below are the system specs:
Antec SX1240 Full Tower
EPoX 8K3A+ w/ 3/28/02 BIOS (2nd most updated)
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ at stock speed(1.67GHz)
Swiftech MCXC370 w/ Papst 33CFM Fan
Enermax 550W PS
512MB DDR 333 Corsair
Leadtek Winfast A250 Ultra GF4 Ti4600
SB Audigy Gamer
WD Caviar Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM ATA100 w/ 8MB Cache
Pioneer 16X DVD Slot Load
Floppy

Using all rounded cables and routed for airflow.

Fans:
2 80MM Sunon 36CFM Exhaust
1 92MM Sunon 45CFM Exhaust
3 80MM Sunon 36CFM Intake

Again, thanks alot!! :cheers:

pcmkr
07-20-2002, 02:51 AM
I was also thinking that maybe the CompuNurse temp sensor is keeping the HSF from putting full pressure on the CPU...
:confused:

sineP
07-20-2002, 06:26 AM
I have the same problem, in the summer my room feels like an inferno. A lot has to do with your ambient room temp, after all what good is blowing already warm/hot air into your case. AMDs already get hot enuff without help from high ambient room temps.
All I can suggest is to move your rig into a cooler part of the house. I know this might not be possible for whatever reason, so my second suggestion is to run your rig with the side of the case open use a room fan to help move that hot air out......I know this is kind of a crude method but it works.....I know several ppl with amds that do this(in the summer anyways). GL

pcmkr
07-20-2002, 06:49 AM
I'd really doubt that's the cause of it reading 80C though. It might be part of the reason, but it should never get that hot. At one point it locked up in the BIOS. I have several friends here with very similar setups and they haven't had temps near this with the same ambient air temps. I'm really leaning toward a problem with the mounting of the HSF, talking with more and more fellow techs here where I work it seems that's the most likely thing that's wrong. I'll try remounting it tonight, this time without the CompuNurse on it. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions!! :cheers:

pcmkr
07-20-2002, 12:53 PM
Well, it turns out I was right about the temp sensor. I pulled the heatsink off tonight and saw that it was only partially on the core, the temp sensor was keeping the HSF from full contact on the core. No wonder the temps were so friggin high!!!:laugh:
I yanked out that stupid temp probe and then cleaned off the core and the heatsink, then reapplied the AS3. Hopefully that should do it. I'm gonna test it out in a few mins.:D

Later

:cheers:

Wiggo
07-20-2002, 02:21 PM
Sometimes a little to much plastic is used to cover the end of the probes which is easily fixed by shaving the excess away till it doesn't obstruct the HSF fitment. :smokin:
<center>:cheers:</center>

Darthtanion
07-20-2002, 03:49 PM
If you had the temperature probe between the processor core and the heatsink, then yes... you did have a bad setup. I have found that if you take the tip of the probe and butt it up against the core without putting it between the core and the sink, then you will get reasonable readings from it. Just tape it in place and you should be set.

But make sure not to place the tape over any of the bridges of the processor. :)

chisholm
07-21-2002, 11:29 AM
hehe yea NEVER put anything between between ur hsf and that tiny contact patch...i know someone how fried their cpu bcos they well forgot to peel the plastic off from the bottom of their HSF...

pcmkr
07-23-2002, 02:17 AM
OK, I didn't intentionally mount the probe between the core and the HSF, it moved just slightly when I mounted the HSF, and that's how it got there. Now I have everything staightened out. Everything is working great on my system now. CPU temps are topping out at 53-54C full-load(internal die temp), and my room is pretty hot in the summertime. So I'm happy with it :D

I scored 10,614 in 3DMark2001SE which is about what I was expecting. :laugh:

Thanks for the suggestions :) Take care!!

Cheers :cheers:

dazza b
07-23-2002, 06:19 PM
You also want to make sure that you dont put to much thermal compound on the core, a very thin layer is more than enough. I made this mistake and for some stupid reason put half the tube on ????!!!!!!!????? :confused: :confused:

I recomen acrilic silver III compound

Hope this helps lower them 'C

W.O.R.D
Dazza B
:knife:

pcmkr
07-23-2002, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I did use Arctic Silver III, it's pretty cool stuff. I even went to thier website for how they recommend putting the compound on, and followed those instructions. I used the edge of a credit card to even it out in a thin layer too.

About you using half the tube, maybe you thought more was better at the time. ;) j/k Thanks for the help. Take care!

:wave:

: peace2:

dazza b
07-23-2002, 10:22 PM
well what can i say --- i followed the saying more is better, but it seems less is infact more !!!!!!

You may also want to get a funnel type duct coming from a case panel to the top of the hsf

of just a couple of case fans to get cool air into the case so that the hsf is not sucking warm air onto the hs, instead it sucks cool air, that should take a few 'c off and help the system run more smoothly

aznx
07-24-2002, 12:11 AM
you know if it was really 80C it'd be a fried amd xp..lol

dazza b
07-24-2002, 12:16 AM
oh yes it would have done that alright, my first cpu blew at 97'c and took out the mobo to, 50 - 60 'c is still quite hot. i am only running a duron at just over 1ghz but its only 31'c on full load.

thermatake dragon ord cooler .... excellent

pcmkr
07-24-2002, 12:20 AM
I'm very suprised that it didn't fry my Athlon XP! I thought these CPUs hit death at 75C hehe :laugh: But it seems to be working good now. I can loop 3DMark2001SE several times and not have a hiccup, and get good scores. I think it should be ok. Glad I didn't have to send this proc back to for a new one. :p

:rolleyes:

Wiggo
07-24-2002, 12:23 AM
Actually the threshold for Athlon/Duron fryin' starts at 95c and that's from AMD themselves. :smokin:

dazza b
07-24-2002, 12:25 AM
yeah you was v lucky indeed,

Anyway boss .... good luck with ya system make sure you get some pics on here soon, oh yeah and make sure you check mine out, they are in case modding madness, and then the htread called pictures of my latest mods.

Look after yaself

W.O.R.D
Dazza B
:knife:

pcmkr
07-24-2002, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the info Wiggo, I'll keep that in mind ;)

Yeah, I did take pics of my system, but it's with a regular camera, I don't have a digi camera yet. So I have to finish with the roll of film then get it developed. I'll scan the pics and post 'em soon I hope. Even though I went with rounded cables and all, it's still a bit of a mess with all the wires, lol.

No mods yet, except for a baybus for my fans.

I'll b sure to check out your pics dazza b

Thanks guys :cheers:

pcmkr
07-24-2002, 12:57 AM
BTW

Does 53-54C sound like a decent temp for internal die temp at full load on my proc? My room was around 30C when I tested and got this temp.

I hate how hot my room gets in the summer :mad:

It should be alot better in the winter though ;) :thumb:

Wiggo
07-24-2002, 02:48 AM
Actually it soundin' quite alright from all reports of the internal core sensor that I've seen so far (from mobo's that support this feature) the temps that I'm getting from my XP's underside resistors seem to be closer to acurate than the old backside readings of the T'birds and so long as ya gettin' no stability probs may just be ok. ;)

pcmkr
07-24-2002, 02:53 AM
I have no stabilty probs so far. I did try turning up my mem settings in BIOS to Turbo timings but 3DMark crashed back to desktop partway through the benchmark, anything I can do to fix that? I thought the mem I got would be able to run all max timings on the memory. Any suggestions?:confused:

Wiggo
07-24-2002, 02:57 AM
Have ya tied increasing the voltage to the memory? :?:
:beer: :beer: :beer:

pcmkr
07-24-2002, 03:24 AM
I think I tried that already, don't think it helped. How high a voltage you think I should go?

:bounce:

pcmkr
07-24-2002, 03:55 AM
Extra info - Right now I can run the mem timings stable at CAS 2 3-3-5 with 1T command Rate

Wiggo
07-24-2002, 04:29 AM
I take it that ya runnin' at stock FSB but are ya runnin' the memory at +33? :?:
Up to about 2.8v should be ok for the memory. ;)

pcmkr
07-24-2002, 04:35 AM
Yep, running 133 FSB with mem in async at 166 (+33)

HAHA, I can't try it at the moment though, I'm at work, have to wait till I get home :p

Thanks for the advice :cheers:

Wiggo
07-24-2002, 04:40 AM
No probs but as it's 5.30am here I think that I'd better hit the hay. :zzz:
But really I just looked at Corsair's XMS page, http://www.corsairmicro.com/xms/xms_modules.html , and they recommend 2-3-3-6-T1 at that speed so ya ahead there. ;)

pcmkr
07-24-2002, 04:47 AM
HAHA Yeah I guess so. I'm not gonna complain then :rolleyes:
Guess I'm just greedy :cackle:

djrpowell
07-24-2002, 09:16 AM
Hi,

I think that it is probably the monitoring of your CPU that is the problem. However you should try this;

1) Polish your CPU to remove any undulations.
2) Clean the CPU and heatsink with whitespirt and a soft cloth.
3) put a dot of arctic silver on the hearsink and spead it out with a credit card till flat and very thinly spread.
4) put a 1/4 of a pea size dot of arctic silver on the cpu. Flatten this with a credit card till flat and thin
5) assemble with care so as not to disturb the layer.

Ensure that your fans are blowing air away from around the CPU. If you have a hot spot there it will make it harder for your CPU.

7) If you have not got enough air flow, use a delta fan.

8) Buy the Volcano 7+ or if you can get it the latest Volcano cooler. They are the best. Look at the thermal take website.

9) If you do all that then don't worry it must be a software or monitoring problem!

Hope this helps

djrpowell
07-24-2002, 09:18 AM
Sorry i meant polish the heatsink!

chisholm
07-24-2002, 07:15 PM
I have no stabilty probs so far. I did try turning up my mem settings in BIOS to Turbo timings but 3DMark crashed back to desktop partway through the benchmark, anything I can do to fix that? I thought the mem I got would be able to run all max timings on the memory. Any suggestions?:confused:

lol pcmkr i'm getting the same problems with my corsair xms3200...@148fsb!:shoot:
but my seller is gonna replace it with a platinum stick...hmm as the corsairxms32000 is rated @CAS2 166fsb this must be a problem some corsair ram not capable of doing CAS2...so much for corsair "guaranteeing" those speeds:cheers:

Wiggo
07-24-2002, 07:56 PM
I was at Corsair's site last night and noticed that they have reduced their official timings from what they use to be. :(

dopa
07-25-2002, 01:00 AM
i've definitely been there and my problem was adding too little thermal compound (i use the cheap silicone stuff for right now). i actually looked it up on the amd site and i think that the maximum kill temp for a lot of their cpu's is around 90 C. i was running it at around 75-80 with the bad application. now it's running 45. much better. anybody have any other ideas on how to get it even cooler? i've got a coolermaster atcs 410 server case so i've got a lotta fans blowing around and would like some suggestions on how to tweak them.

pcmkr
07-25-2002, 02:20 AM
Much cooler this morning, I booted up my system when room temps were around 21-22C. I ran it at full load for about 10 mins and the CPU temp maxed out around 42-43C. :cool: So now I know the HSF is working like it should. Just keeping my room this cool is impossible in the summer without me buying an air conditioner.:rolleyes:

pcmkr
07-25-2002, 03:24 AM
I played around with my mem timings and voltages and just couldn't get the system to successfully benchmark with timings any higher than CAS 2 3-3-5 w/Command Rate of 1T with fsb at 133 and mem at 166. I even cranked the voltage up and that didn't really help much. It would get a little further in the test, but still crash back to the desktop.:mad:

Maybe I'll push my brother into having me build him a system, and then sell him this RAM and get myself something better hehe:laugh:

Wiggo
07-25-2002, 03:45 AM
If ya do then try the XMS3200 then as they're quicker again. ;)

pcmkr
07-25-2002, 08:35 AM
Any other good brands of memory that you know of?

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Wiggo
07-25-2002, 01:20 PM
Nothing better than those at the time yet. :smokin:

pcmkr
07-25-2002, 01:44 PM
I was looking at the timings the XMS3200 can do and it looks like it would do Cas 2 2-2-5 1T command rate at 166MHz which is what I wanted in the first place :cackle:

:yawn:

pcmkr
07-25-2002, 09:24 PM
That is, until they reduce the rated timings again! :rolleyes2