Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSF/CPU Mistake!

Hey,
    When I installed my Volcano 6cu onto my athlon I removed the thermal material. Is this why it runs VERY hot? Also, what can I do/add to make it seem like I do have thermal material?

Click here to see what I removed. It's the black stuff in the photograph.

I remove any sort of substance like this out of habit. It will normally handle the rigors of a default speed setup, but it generally sucks when it comes to running high clock speeds.

I do, however, make sure that I put on a thin coating of a quality TIM (Thermal Interface Material). Currently Arctic Silver 3 and Evergreen's TherMagic are the top of the line. While the TherMagic is a bit better, either will easily handle the stresses of both default and overclocked processor speeds.

If you are not using any sort of TIM, then I would highly recommend that you use your system only in an emergency. Otherwise you stand the risk of doing damage to the processor due to these VERY hot temperatures.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I have some thermal **** on it. its white. but my cpu runs at 55deg C.

Comment

What sort of case ventilation do ya have? :?:

Comment

Even if I take the covers off the case it still runs that hot. I have an Addtronics 6896a.

Comment

I used think that opening my case would have a good affect to my cooling of my components. I figured out thats not the case. Effective case cooling only occurs when you have a good intake and exhaust fans cooling your case. Well placed in and out fans will cool your system dramatically. A lack of that might be your heat problem as WiGGo pointed out. I have a two fans on the side, three in the front dragging air in and three in the back pushing hot air out. Its made quite the difference. My system actually gets warmer when i take off the side panel. Anyhow, try that...fans are somewhat affordable...and can go a long way when it comes to cooling your system down.
            - Damien

Comment

lol yea same here flaco:D
              me cpu temp actually goes up 2 degrees if i take off the side...i guess bcos with the lid on there's a 120mm on the side pumping fresh air straight into the delta on my mcx:cheers:

Comment

Working...
              X