Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case Windows Without the Rubber Locking Thread

Hello Guys,

I am looking to put a window on the side pannel of my case, i had one on my old case and used the rubber locking thread to attach it! However this time i am limited for space and will therefore have to cut a custom window. I want to attach my window without the rubber thread and am not sure how to go about this. I would like it to look good so i am not up for just bolting it in!!!!

If anyone has any ideas pls let me know.
    Also pics would be nice

W.O.R.D
    Dazza B

The hard part is going to be the cutting as your window is going to have to fit exactly into the cut-out in the case panel.
    Any variation would leave an ugly gap when you turn on an interior light.

mounting the window shouldn't be much problem. Just use plexi that is a bit thicker than your panel. Press fit the plexi flush with the exterior of the case and then use a fillet of silicone, rubber cement or whatever adhesive you choose, on the inside of the panel.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Cheers Boss,

The cutting wont be to much of a problem for me as i am quite handy with a jigsaw, well depends on how may i have had !!!!!

I was wondering if there was a way to cover the gap between the edge of the window and edge of the case, where they join??

With some kind of flat plastic edging if you know what i mean

Comment

I think the trick would be getting the cut-out and the window to exactly the same dimensions.

If you plan to paint the case you could always fill the gap with some type of resin or something and after it was painted, who'd know it ever had a gap.
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

What if i was to cut the hole in the case about 1.5cm smaller than the window, smoothed the edges of the case hole and "stuck" the window onto the inside of the case panel. would this look abit well crap

Comment

Umm, yeah, but that's just my opinion.

The best result would come from cutting the window 1mm larger than the opening in the case and hand-carving it to a press fit.

Comment

yeah guess it would thinking about it , i have seen it done b4 in a really nice lookin way. It looked as if there was a border around the window edge of about 2cm made from some kind of plastic sheeting .... i think i may just have to stick with the old lockng rubber stuff, if i was to try and get a gap of 1mm all the way round well it would look like a 5 year old had done it. Cheers anyways boss

W.O.R.D
              Dazza B

Comment

Whatever you decide, I hope it works out well for you.

tinker around with the idea and materials a bit, there's no rush;)

Comment

You can buy new rubber locking tape stuff!

:snip: :shoot2:

Comment

:cool: Can you buy just the locking tape/rubber without a window kit?

:confused:

Comment

Some Hardware and Auto Parts stores carry it. ;)

Comment

what is that stuff actually called?:confused:

Comment

Rubber window moulding strip. ;)

Comment

:D Thanks for the info. Had looked at Home Depot but didn't find it. :rolleyes:

Comment

I'm gonna be doing something similar here in the next week (hopefully). My plan on how I'm going about it is to use a hole saw (9 incher) and then mount a 10"x10" piece of plexi behind it. I know people who worship the dremel, but it's cheaper and I don't see how it will suck too bad. I'm thinking of using some epoxy to mount it, but am not sure at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X