Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new modder

Hey guys (and gals),
    Just about to upgrade my system. Specs are Athlon XP 1800+, ECS K7VTA3 mobo, 512 DDR Crucial, ATI Radeon 8500...I bought a Kingwin KT-436 WM case and a blue cold cathode lite. Anyone have anything to recommend to continue my modding...i was thinking something for cooling or an LCD panel... thanks :)

If you have blow holes for fans you may be interested in putting up fan grills. You may also be interested in putting on stickers or fart pipes on the fans you can get about 500MHz out of that. lol (ricer burner joke)

Comment

well, unfortunately, the case i got doesn't have a blow hole on top, unlike the case i was originally going to get, the Lian Li PC 65. where would you get that stuff for the fans? also, are there any accessories that i can get to make the wires better arranged inside?

Comment

Yes actually there is. At Radio Shack there is stuff called Spiral Wrap. I got some and worked wonders... I bought them for about 3 dollars and I got 10 feet of it. You can also get rounded cables for your IDE cables and Floppy Cables. As for blow holes if you don't have already, and being you do have the cathode light you can most probably have a window. Don't get just any window though get one with blow holes alrealdy installed. I got mine at coolerguys.com for about 15 dollars has 2 92MM blow holes and I just put some nice grills on them. You can also get a window for the top part of your case at newegg.com there is alot of stuff there. Newegg.com also sells a certain piece used to etch out a blow hole for a fan if you don't want the window.

Comment

well, if you already didn't know, the Kingwin Kt-436 WM has three acrylic windows, two on each side and one of the top. im not too sure about making holes in them. :-/ ill look into the spiral wrap stuff, sounds cool. do you know a good cheap heatsink/fan for my cpu? also, anyone know the best place to put the cathode light? thanks for the input

Comment

heh sorry no I didn't know about the window. I'm not to sure about drilling into the plastic either as it might melt? When I drilled through my metal it sparked and got really hot. Would the plastic melt? As for the best place to put the light I recommend in a vertical position and hidden out of view. I placed mine horizontal and the light got deflected and blocked from all my cards. Vertical the whole thing lit up. A good cheap cooler I would probably recommend the Volcano 7, I'm interested in getting one myself but I don't think it would be worth it over my WBK38. May be when I upgrade my CPU I would definitly get one.

Comment

no problem about the case, i barely knew about cases until i started researching recently. i've always wanted to mod up my computer, but never had the money. anyway, thanks for the info, ill look for some good heatsinks/fans. i was also thinking about getting an LCD panel, they aren't too $ at 45 bucks. shows you lots of features... temp, memory usage... **** like that. i was also thinking about getting a crystal fan with a blue led light.. not sure though, i guess we'll see when i get back from hawaii....

Comment

ok no prob ya my next mod will be a led fan also......they look rather cool.

Comment

yeah led fans do look great, i have got 2x 80mm alaska led fans on my side panel, also a yellow 80mm fan. Pianting your fan blades to co-ordinate with everything else is a very cheap and effective mod

There is a picture of one i painted in case modding madness\pics of my latest mods .......... its the yellow one, second pic down

Comment

what i think im going to do is just get a couple crystal blue LED fans and replace the ones in the back of the case with those... and get some silver/clear round IDE cables. just add the cold blue cathode light and it should look pretty nice.. not going for too much here... thanks guys

Comment

You can't stop there. You can never stop.

Comment

Binxer, it is okay to cut holes for fans in your windows, however you must use extreme caution not to apply to much pressure (or it will crack) and to make sure that whatever you are cutting with is on low speed, so as not to melt the actual window.

Comment

What's the best tool for cutting the window? :confused:

Comment

Either a hole saw or jigsaw on very low speed. ;)

Comment

What kind of blade for the hole saw. I've used a dremel for aquarium dividers but you don't end up with a an esthetically pleasing result. It does work however to keep very aggressive fish separated.

Comment

Working...
                              X