does anyone..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone..

does anyone wonder ever how high their hd temps are and if the hd ever overheats? how hot are your hds?

brand:
    temp:
    time:
    cooling:

-

brand: seagate barracuda iv 80 gig
    temp: 45 degrees c
    time: hour and a half
    cooling: none

well my 40 gigger was like 120 and that is way to hot normal and max is like 110 F but then i got an hdd cooler and the thing dropped big time in temp like to 90 degrees F.my seagate 80gig runs really cold oh yeah both drives are 7200rpm

Comment

Well, I once had a 7200 rpm WD without any cooling (3 years ago before I knew HD's could create heat) It was in my basement at the time, (68 degrees) and after a Windows install, it was borderline too hot to touch, I am going to estimate 130 F. Since then I have always had circulation passing through my hard drive areas.

Now with even just a minute amount of circulation, my HD stays around 80-82F in a 70F room.

Comment

hmm...maybe i should get a fan for it

Comment

Vantec makes some nice heatsinks real cheap to....comes with dual fans and get screwed onto the bottom of the HDD.
          - Damien

Comment

How do you find out the temp of your HD I wanna find out the temp of my ol' so succesful deathstar.

Comment

well, my seagate has a tempature probe built in, dunno about the ibms, try a hd temp utility or sandra

Comment

I use a digital doc probe to measure mine...

Comment

IBMs have built in probes, but u need the IBM dos utils to access the readings... AFAIK

Comment

IBMS...sadness, sandra can't detect the probes?

Comment

not that i have found, no windows utilities seem to be able to see the probes...

best i could come by was a util that monitored the HDD health using S.M.A.R.T. capabilities of the IBM drives, fat lot of good that was, coz i had that util runnin and the day b4 my 45Gb drive died, it said the HDD was 100% healthy!

Comment

I'm gonna search for the util I guess on the IBM website? And that does it I've heard far to many things negative about IBM drives. I guess its the price to pay for the faster drive? Anyway my next drive I'm gonna get a WD special addition. Then again that's if there is a next drive I'm still using just over half of mine.

Comment

lately, my case has been heating up to 47C (CPU is hitting mid 50's...) and my HDD it very hot to the touch.. Probably not the best thing. It's a serious airflow problem in my case when the sides are on. I've got a panel open at the front, but that doesn't seem to help much.. What I'd give for a new case.. :) Guess I'll have to take the sides off again.

But yeah, my HDD's get very very hot, and still seem to work ok.

Comment

Beefy wants my DTK don't u...

I never had airflow issues with it!

Comment

your what?

Comment

Working...
                              X