IBM 75GXP 45GB IDE UDMA-100 7200rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM 75GXP 45GB IDE UDMA-100 7200rpm

Is this a good hard drive. what is the problem with IBM drives that i hear about so much.

They very often fail without cooling.

Comment

Add to that the fact that the older 75GXP series (which you seem to be looking at) has had a class-action law suit brought against IBM concerning it's high failure rates. Stay away from IBM for the time being. I haven't heard anything much about the 120GXP series yet, but I'm not touching them until their track record is confirmed as good to go again.

Why my strong stance? I just happen to have a 40GB 60GXP sitting on the shelf behind me. It is not in my system because it died. The worst part about it is that I had it sitting right in front of an 80mm 42CFM fan the entire time it was installed and in use. :(

IBM has shown itself to be after the mighty dollar and the customer be damned when the product craps out on them.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

go with seagate they kick ass they are fast reliable and they run very cool

Comment

how hot does your seagate run? cool...45C aint cool, unless the probe is not properly placed inside the hd?

Comment

I had an IBM Deskstar 60Gb 7200 for two months before it crashed on me. I bought it at a computer show, so had to return to IBM RMA. Luckily, I'm smart enough to back up my data to a second hard drive.

I looked up the IBM hard drive USER reviews on cnet and other places and found that generally most people don't have good experriences with IBM drives.

I bought Seagate with the same specs (it had great reviews), and it's quieter, faster, and doesn't run as hot (though it does still run pretty hot). AND I've had it for more than 2 months and it hasn't failed.

Anyway, my advice would be to look up reviews for the drive you are looking to buy at several sites.

Hope this helps...

Comment

Damn! And I just shelled out $100 yesterday on a 80GB 120GXP. Hope they improved it from the previous model. :(

Comment

hey if it's any comfort, the one they sent back hasn't died on me yet and is serving as my backup drive!

Comment

Damn! And I just shelled out 0 yesterday on a 80GB 120GXP. Hope they improved it from the previous model.
                  Always reasearch the most crucial and expensive system components... But if you just got it, you can still take it back... right? If not, you better get some fans on it. Apparently they do last longer than 2 months if they have ALOT of cooling. But some still fail anyways, so don't keep anything too important on it. :hammer:

Comment

I can attest to that. Mine lasted about 6-8 months before dying on me. The worst part was that it ALWAYS had a 42CFM fan sitting behind it at all times during it's lifecycle.
                    My Toys

Comment

Yeh. Alot of the 75GXP's died because of mechanical problems rather than heat damage, however all IBM HDD's are very susceptible to heat damage (as well as mechanical problems) also i dont think their track record will ever be good to go again, since all lines are soon being discontinued, and all HD manufacturing to stop by IBM. Also seagate 7200RPM drive run decently hot, mine runs at 28C cos it has a fan clipped to it, but then again ALL 7200RPM drives run hot. Seagate is my personal preference, it totally silent (like 19dB) and on average is faster than the maxtor ATA '133' drives.

Comment

Just an interesting statistic, the 75GXP drives have a %70 failure rate, are not recommended to run more than 8 hours a day, and have an estimate lifespan of 1000 hours. Very poor

Comment

Mine was a newer 60GXP. :(
                          My Toys

Comment

Hey isn't it IBM that have that stupid 332hrs p/m operational time recomendation? :?:
                            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

It is somewhere in that general timeframe, yes.
                              My Toys

Comment

Working...
                              X