Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overclocking the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R...excellent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R...excellent!

AMD had a beautiful parade a couple years ago, we called it K8. In virtually every conceivable comparison, it would beat the Intel P4 chips into the ground. Those days were sweet for AMD, but out of nowhere Intel began a surprise attack on AMD dropping the Conroe bomb, then the Penryn bomb, then the Nehalem bomb, and now the Lynnfield bomb...or is it more of a "miss"?

For years AMD had been the enthusiast CPU of choice. AMD was not as openly opposed to overclocking as Intel had been, and for good reason, their chips OC'ed relatively well and didn't create as much heat as Intel's. Since Intel released Conroe into the wild a little over three years ago...the enthusiast landscape has shifted dramatically. Intel's newest architecture was an enthusiast's delight. And since then, Intel has been more openly embracing the overclocking community.

So, I'm trying to figure out where Lynnfield fits in. Nehalem already holds the performance crown, AMD doesn't have anything that can compete for performance. So, AMD has had to compete with pricing, dropping the prices of it highest performing CPUs to be even slightly competitive from a price/performance standpoint. This leaves Intel in a bit of a predicament at the low end, because they have been forced to compete against AMDs top CPUs with older hardware. Enter Lynnfield, a CPU designed to compete at a lower price point, yet still have the performance to beat AMD's best.

So, I'm here today to talk about Lynnfield, right? And I'm an extreme overclocker, so I'll be using an i7 870 to test the platform right? And I'll be using one of the most expensive motherboards on the market, because it will give me the most potential for overclocking, right? Oh, and let's not forget the LN2....right? No, no, no, and....no!

Gigabyte Japan asked me to look at their entry level board, the GA-P55-UD3R. At first I was hesitant...what am I gonna do with an entry level board like the UD3R? I'd probably kill it within the first 5 minutes right? So, I decided to do one for the people...the gamers...you! So, the first part of this review will be for the GA-P55-UD3R with an i5 750, and WITH AIR COOLING ONLY! In this case I'm using a Prolimatech Megahalems cooler with the new LGA1156 compatible bracket.

First off, the board:

Model
    Brand - GIGABYTE
    Model - GA-P55-UD3R

Features
    • Features Ultra Durable 3 technology with 2oz copper PCB design
    • Innovative Smart 6 technology for Smarter PC management
    • New Dynamic Energy Saver 2 technology enables best energy efficiency
    • Support ATI CrossFireX for ultimate graphics performance
    • Features high speed Gigabit Ethernet connection
    • XHD technology accelerating hard drive performance with ease
    • AutoGreen technology Greening your PC via Bluetooth cellphone
    • Patented GIGABYTE DualBIOS technology delivering highest level failure protection
    • Home theater quality 8-channel High Definition Audio
    • Compatible with Windows 7 to deliver the best operation experience

Physical Spec
    Form Factor - ATX
    Dimensions - 12.0" x 9.6"
    24 Pin Power connection

Rear Panel Ports
    PS/2 1
    10 x USB 2.0
    2 x eSATA 3Gb/s
    S/PDIF Out - 1 x Optical, 1 x Coaxial
    6 x Audio Ports

Onboard Audio
    Audio Chipset - Realtek ALC888
    Audio Channels - 8 Channels

Onboard LAN
    LAN Chipset - Realtek 8111D
    Max LAN Speed - 10/100/1000Mbps

Supported CPU
    CPU Socket Type - LGA 1156
    CPU Type - Core i7/i5

Chipsets
    North Bridge - Intel P55

Storage Devices
    PATA - 1 x ATA133 2 Dev. Max
    SATA 3Gb/s - 8
    SATA RAID 0/1/5/10

Onboard USB
    Onboard USB - 4 x USB 2.0

Memory Expansion Slots
    PCI Express 2.0 x16 - 1
    PCI Express x16 - 1 (@x4 bandwidth)
    PCI Express x1 - 1
    PCI Slots - 4

The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

Heat Team IRONMODS

Re: Overclocking the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R...excellent!

So, my first step was to run it through a basic battery of CPU benchmarks at "stock speed" to get some baseline measurements.

Super PI 1M
    This program calculates the digits of the number PI out to 1 million digits, it is single threaded.

Super PI 32M
    This program calculates the digits of the number PI out to 32 million digits, it is single threaded.

PiFast
    This program that crunches through the digits of the number PI, it is single threaded.

wPrime
    This program calculates prime numbers. It allows for two tests, to calculate the first 32 million, or the first 1.024 billion prime numbers. This program is great for multi-core and/or multi-processor systems, and scales very well with each additional core.

With the new Lynnfiels CPUs, "stock speed" has different meanings in different tests. The "stock" multiplier of this i5 750 CPU is 20x, but in multithreaded benchmarks it runs at 21x, and when I ran Super PI or PiFast, it ran at an impressive 24x!!! That took the "stock" speed of 2660MHz to either 2793MHz or 3192MHz depending on the test...wow! 20x is only used when the CPU determines that the load is too heavy and thermal throttling kicks in to prevent the use of the higher multipliers.

You've probably noticed that this CPU is very similar to the i7 920, they both have the same "stock speed" of 2660MHz, they both have the same amount of L1, L2, and L3 cache, and they both have 4 physical cores. But there are some important differences as well. The 920 has a triple channel memory controller, the 750 only dual channel. The 920 uses Hyper Threading (HT) to enable the operatining system to treat the CPU is if it has 8 cores. On the other hand, the 920's turbo mode has a maximum multiplier of 21x and is therefore more limited in it's overall clock speed for single threaded applications, this would help the 750 make up for some of the performance lost with the lack of triple channel memory.

The final and most important difference between the two CPUs is the price. At only about $200, the i5 750 is significantly less expensive than it's i7 bretheren (about $280). Not only the CPU but the entire platform is designed to fill a lower price bracket. So, while an entry level 1366 board, like the GA-EX58-UD3R runs about $200, the P55 varient shown here sells for only $140. Also, you must factor in a set of DDR3 memory, since the Lynnfield arcitecture only supports 2 channels of memory, you could get a 2x2GB kit for as little as about $70, whereas those who chose to get a platform based around Nehalem would need a 6GB kit to be competative, which would drive the price up to about $110 or more. Altogether, a new setup based on Lynnfield (using the price estimates shown above) would only cost about $410 whereas the i7 rig would set you back about $590, or an increase of about 44%. So the question is, does the i7 platform perform 44% higher?

Since my main goal these days is to push HW to the brink with extreme cooling methods with high scores being the only end in sight, I wasn't sure how to proceed with this more entry level HW. So I decided to review this motherboard to bennefit the target audience...the budget friendy crowd looking to maximize performance/cost...hopefully that means YOU! As I stated before, I will only be using air cooling for this portion of my review, and I won't be using any LGA1156 i7 CPUs either.

For this portion of the testing, I wanted to find the very best performance I could with air cooling, that means using a powerful fan, in this case a 252CFM Delta strapped to the side of the Megahalems. I tweaked the OS a bit for each bench, and adjusted the voltages to whatever was needed for the highest clocks for each test. Using the same tests used with the stock speed testing, here are the results...

Super PI 1M
    9th fastest i5 750 on HWBot (1st with air cooling)

Super PI 32M
    3rd fastest i5 750 on HWBot (1st with air cooling)

PiFast

wPrime 32M
    4th fastest i5 750 on HWBot (1st with air cooling)

wPrime 1024M

Next up, I've got some 24/7 settings for you everyday overclockers...later, I'll be putting this thing under some LN2 :D

Heat Team IRONMODS

Comment

Right off the bat, I was impressed with the ability of this board and this CPU to attain stable overclocks with low voltage. With a stock voltage of 1.1V, it doesn't seem like there is a whole lot to work with. I've pushed 45nm CPUs to 2.0V and beyond with liquid nitrogen, so limiting myself to only 1.1V seemed really silly. But I wanted to see the potential for this chip with absolutely zero voltage increases. Here is a shot of the BIOS voltage page for the following run:

The result? 3.45GHz 14 hours Prime95 stable sounds pretty good to me with only 1.1V.

* temps only reached 60C due to a high ambient temp of 32-34C during this run.

So the next step was to see what I could get with a bit extra voltage. I wanted to give you an idea of what this setup is capable of with decent air cooling for a 24/7 based setup. With that in mind, made the following changes in the BIOS:

The result? I was able to reach 4.2GHz 30 minutes Prime95 stable. I know some of you believe in 24 hours or some such nonsense for true "stability testing, but I apologize, I don't have the patience for it these days. But, I think it's quite obvious that it wouldn't be hard to do with this board and CPU.

By the way, I did not use the Delta fan for these tests either, I swapped for a much quieter 1600RPM fan.
      Last edited by miahallen; 09-28-2009, 02:13 AM.

Heat Team IRONMODS

Comment

OK, time for the fun stuff :D

This board turned out to be a real blast when pushed to the extreme with liquid nitrogen.

As you can see, I have the Kingpin Cooling F1EE liquid nitrogen pot mounted on the board. With the same CPU/memory used at the beginning of the testing, I tweaked and tuned this chip to find is maximum potential.

Current i5 750 SuperPI 1M world record!

This is currently i5 750 SuperPI 32M 2nd fastest time in the world. The first place title is still held by Massman, despite my higher clock speeds. He obviously has skills in tweaking SuperPI 32M that I lack.

Current i5 750 PiFast world record!

Current i5 750 wPrime 32M world record!

Current i5 750 wPrime 1024M world record!

WOW! Obviously this board has what it takes to compete with the best is the overclocking department!!!

So, let's wrap this up. I set out to answer a couple different questions during this testing. Does this chip compete with the AMD Phenom II series from a price/performance standpoint? And, is the i7 920 worth the 40-50% price hike? Unfortunately, I have neither the time or the means to do that completely. But, I think we can safely draw a few conclusions with this testing. Yes, the platform definitely has what it takes to compete with the best from AMD, and being that cost is about even between the two, and the fact that the Intel stuff overclocks a bit better, this is hands down the budget minded enthusiasts platform of choice right now.

Which brings us to my second question. There is no doubt that Nehalem is more powerful than Lynnfield, but is it worth a 44% price increase? In this case I'm comparing the i5 CPU, which lacks Hyper Threading capabilities. If multitasking or heavily threaded applications care common in your typical usage, you would probably benefit from Hyper Threading. The good news is, this does not mean you need to go all the way to Nehalem, thanks to the i7 860. The price advantage is not as great as with the i5 series, but the multitasking/multithreaded performance should be just about on par with Nehalem, and it'll still be less expensive. For the rest of you, the i5 is exactly what you've been waiting for, a quad core CPU with zero compromises for single threaded applications, thanks to aggressive turbo modes.

Finally, lets discuss the main subject of this review, the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R. I'm very impressed with the performance capabilities of this entry level board. Carrying on the UD3R series tradition of top shelf overclocking capabilities for a fraction of the price, this board carries the UD3R legacy into the current generation. Sure, it does have a few limitations; it only has 4 fan headers on board, and it lacks SLI support. But if you are looking for more features, your shopping in the wrong price bracket. This board is designed for the budget enthusiast...max overclocking potential and only essential features...with that goal in mind this board is an excellent choice. Gigabyte also offers a full range of models to address some of the features lacking here. For instance, if SLI support is essential to you, the GA-P55M-UD4 can be had for only $10 more.

Lastly, when pushed to the extreme, this board did not disappoint. It obviously was built to be a beast of an overclocker. Gigabyte has spared no expense for the enthusiast community, giving this board the best of Gigabyte technology to allow for some incredible overclocking potential! Highly recommended for those who do not need SLI.

Please feel free to post comments, suggestions for future review, and any questions about the board.

A big thanks to Gigabyte Japan for the chance to show off this awesome product, cheers!
        Last edited by miahallen; 09-28-2009, 08:43 AM.

Heat Team IRONMODS

Comment

Pictures are back up!

Heat Team IRONMODS

Comment

VERY good post. If you see this and DO need crossfire or SLI the P55-UD4P is just a few bucks more and will do the same amazing job this one will do.

I am loving this post, I too have done quite a bit of mild overclocking with the UD4P and it's amazing what it can do on low voltage.

It's cool to see what you did on Vcore and VTT. These P55 boards from Gigabyte are as good as the P45 boards or or better! Loving the Lynnfield!!
            P55-UD4P - i7860 - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - 1600Mhz Mushkin 7-8-7-20 - 3 WD 640GB Black
            880GMA-UD2P - X6 1055T CPU - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - GSkill 1333 8-8-8-21 - 2 500GB WD Black
            2 or 3 other systems I like to play with and a laptop

Comment

This one does support Crossfire, but you're right about SLI, and for that the UD4P seems like a very good choice...thanks for the positive feedback :)
              Last edited by miahallen; 10-01-2009, 12:50 AM.

Heat Team IRONMODS

Comment

While I was working on the earlier benchmarking, I could not get CPU-Z to validate any of my speeds. I tried again tonight with the leftover 3 liters of LN2 that I had, just enough to get me a bronze cup for my suicide shot. Really wish I could have done it in XP the other night though, as I was able to reach 5290MHz at that time :(

Heat Team IRONMODS

Comment

Wow! It makes me wonder how an 860 would do. I have seen guys hitting over 5 with it. I would sure like to see you do it. You seem to have the "touch"
                  P55-UD4P - i7860 - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - 1600Mhz Mushkin 7-8-7-20 - 3 WD 640GB Black
                  880GMA-UD2P - X6 1055T CPU - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - GSkill 1333 8-8-8-21 - 2 500GB WD Black

Comment

Yes,
                    I can confirm that this board has some nice OC capability:

some 24/7 samples:

memory at 864mhz, 8-8-8-24-1:
                    MaxxPI - Collins

singlepi 32M:
                    MaxxPI - Collins

cpu at 4.3ghz:
                    MaxxPI - Collins

cu
                    Last edited by alice; 10-03-2009, 01:46 AM.
                    ... www.MaxxPi2.de

Comment

Nice. Too bad not a lot of discussion on this board about this great MB.
                      I7 - 2600K
                      Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H (bios F20e mod)
                      G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
                      Sapphire 7970
                      ASUS XONAR DX
                      Windows 8.1 64 bit

Comment

I agree...have you tried to OC your yet bodean?

Heat Team IRONMODS

Comment

I'm up over 4Ghz on my little air cooler and the temps are not that bad. I have been running it 24/7 for a week or so. I'm loving it!

Comment

Very nice...which "little air cooler"...the stock Intel one? If so, 4GHz is amazing!

I did see your screens from before nate...nice job, have you tried pushing it a bit more?

Heat Team IRONMODS

Comment

I have a CoolerMaster TX3. It's a very good cooler for $15.

I am very new to OCing. I build a P45 machine and learned how to OC pretty good. Then I built this P55 machine and am still learning. I learned most of what I know about the P45 overclocking from YouTube and forums like this. There is a guy on YouTube with the EP45-UD3P (samas my other board) who has like 10 videos on how HE OCd his. It really worked good for me. I am a visual learner so I hope someone posts a bunch of videos on how to OC the P55 boards. I am scared to death of BSODs....I will have to overcome that fear and move on. haha

I really love reading your post. I would give anything if you would post hours worth of videos on YouTube on what you did and how you did it. I get 10X more from video as apposed to reading forums. (although there is much more information on the forums)

Keeps up the great work, if you happen to post on YouTube, please let me know. I would be so happy. haha

Comment

Working...
                              X