PDA

View Full Version : Tafe

Slamo
12-18-2001, 12:00 PM
Just applied for a Bachelor of Information Technology (Professional Practice) Degree at ballarat Uni.

If I don't get in, what sort of TAFE cources will get me into being an IT Profesisonal. I'm looking at becoming a technician.

Mr. C
12-18-2001, 12:05 PM
Isn't there some sort of resource center or counseling or something at tafe to address such questions?

Wiggo
12-18-2001, 12:29 PM
Yes there is and that info should be available now so ya should just contact your local TAFE for more information. ;)
<center>http://members.optushome.com.au/wiggo100/beerchug.gif</center>

Slamo
12-18-2001, 02:23 PM
Just interested in seeing what all the other technicians in here did.

Wiggo
12-18-2001, 03:39 PM
Well No.1 son is doin' Network Engineerin' there. ;)

Slamo
12-18-2001, 04:18 PM
And what sort of area of IT will that get him into?

Albinus
12-18-2001, 06:11 PM
Well No.1 son is doin' Network Engineerin' there. ;)

And my TAFE came up with the program for that!!!!!! :D:D:D

At my TAFE, there are a few different Diploma programs to do. They are all 2 years full time, here they are:

Diploma of Information Technology (Network Engineering): I completed this last December - this is the main program.

Diploma of Information Technology (Systems Administration): I have done all but one subject in this strand - doing that next semester.

Diploma of Information Technology (Software Engineering): Programming? Yeah, right!!! :shoot:

Diploma of Information Technology (Multimedia Systems): I was 2 subjects off doing this when they changed it from hardware to crappy web design - was not impressed :angryfire

Diploma of Information Technology (Data Communications): This is what I have enrolled in next semester, very strenuous (18 hours contact time per week) :eek: but I will do this to get my AUSTEL certification ;)

So if you want an excuse to live in the best state in AUS just try these courses ;)

Osiris
12-18-2001, 06:20 PM
Diploma of Information Technology (Software Engineering): Programming? Yeah, right!!! :shoot:

What's wrong with programming, Alby? :p!

Albinus
12-18-2001, 06:26 PM
What's wrong with programming, Alby? :p!

Because you get blamed by hardware freaks for crappy software you make :p

Osiris
12-18-2001, 06:30 PM
Because you get blamed by hardware freaks for crappy software you make :p

LOL

Not if it's quality software :p!

Albinus
12-18-2001, 06:33 PM
LOL

Not if it's quality software :p!

The only software at TAFE that works correctly is viruses that go 'round or get created by bored students :D

Osiris
12-18-2001, 06:47 PM
The only software at TAFE that works correctly is viruses that go 'round or get created by bored students :D

Well, there you go then ;).

Olie
12-18-2001, 06:50 PM
go the TAFE vIrUs's

Albinus
12-18-2001, 07:15 PM
Every time I clean their machines they get reinfected - Those wankers called Unisys have the contract, and hardly ever update the anti-virus definitions - the computers are set to automatically update but what's the point (current definitions are dated the 3rd of June I think).

We get the following:

Junkie (used to be rampant - less so now)
AntiCMOS - Widespread
CIH (Chernobyl) - Occassionally
Eek.B (WYX.B) - very common
Nimda - several versions
Navidad - several versions

And probably others I haven't heard of yet.....

So it pays to have a good virus scanner at home :D

Olie
12-18-2001, 07:19 PM
i don't even have a virus scanner

Anonymous
12-18-2001, 07:38 PM
Slamo a technician isnt paid exactly well, I'd probably be correct in saying its one of the lowest paying IT jobs, but I guess it depends who your working for. I guess I'm trying to say, it doesn't exactly take a TAFE course to get you a job as a computer technician.

Albinus
12-18-2001, 07:48 PM
I guess I'm trying to say, it doesn't exactly take a TAFE course to get you a job as a computer technician.

In fact, 80% of people in the IT industry have no formal qualifications......... if you want to work your arse off for $10/hour as a technician - feel free, but TAFE will help you get into a better job such as a Network Engineer (at least $35/hour) :)

Anonymous
12-18-2001, 08:02 PM
Good point. But I'm a firm believer extensive practical experience is much better than any course can teach you. You shouldn't need a bit of paper to say you can do something.

Albinus
12-18-2001, 08:04 PM
Good point. But I'm a firm believer extensive practical experience is much better than any course can teach you. You shouldn't need a bit of paper to say you can do something.

That's a very Australian comment there.......... in some other countries you are immediately shunned if you don't have qualifications - unfortunately Australia is going the same way :cry:

Anonymous
12-18-2001, 08:20 PM
Still, it's a "comment" I'll stick to for life.

Albinus
12-18-2001, 08:59 PM

Wasn't being critical, just pointing out the changing attitudes in AUS :)

Anonymous
12-18-2001, 09:03 PM
Wasn't being critical, just pointing out the changing attitudes in AUS :)

I understand - It's just an opinion of mine that I feel passinate about.

Albinus
12-18-2001, 09:07 PM
In an ideal world, you would like to have both experience and qualifications, but in an uncertain world it is very difficult (if not impossible) to do this :(

Onyx
12-18-2001, 09:52 PM
I'm a firm believer extensive practical experience is much better than any course can teach you. You shouldn't need a bit of paper to say you can do something.

Yes, but how does one obtain or acquire that extensive practical experience in the first place?!? If not for the useles piece of paper.

I'm sorta facing that dilema. Altho I have experience with computers stretching back from 12-13yrs of age (21 now), and more importantly I am always learning and willing to take on new things, readily accept new ways of doing things, etc etc. but while I tried to major in CS at uni, I could not past the first requisite subject of programming in Blue (a stupid OO language they just made up for the sake of stuffing up my life).

Now my piece of paper will state my knowledge in something else - and while I'm not totally against that area, my passion still lies in computers. How does one like me find a job where someone is willing to give me a go - so I'm able to prove myself against the twits who know jack-all even tho they got a fancier piece of paper?!

Bern
12-18-2001, 10:39 PM
Albinus, in the tafe courses what if any do they teach about linux?
The reason I ask is that I have been tutoring a friend of a friend who is doing an IT course at Carsildine tafe and they are doing a linux component that they seem to be developing on the fly. I might look into the tafe scene next year after I complete my RedHat certification.

Mr. C
12-19-2001, 11:23 AM
I agree 100% Mr. Tweak.
There are times though when a piece of paper is the key that opens the door to let opportunity enter.

Albinus
12-19-2001, 01:16 PM
Albinus, in the tafe courses what if any do they teach about linux?
The reason I ask is that I have been tutoring a friend of a friend who is doing an IT course at Carsildine tafe and they are doing a linux component that they seem to be developing on the fly. I might look into the tafe scene next year after I complete my RedHat certification.

Well, to tell you the truth, the bosses are trying to blow smoke up M$'s arse :(

UNIX (not Linux - Solaris I think) is taught for half a semester in one subject - but after that it's all Windows NT/2000 for servers. However, there is one teacher who is a UNIX admin in real life, and he will teach UNIX and Linux until the cows come home - he hates M$ as well :shoot:

He teaches advanced network operating systems, subjects CH4.3 and CH4.4 - so there you go :)

But by and large the TAFE is too busy trying to make $$$ so they suck up to M$ :cry:

Kay
12-19-2001, 01:41 PM
I agree with Mr T, starting at the ground floor so to speak really helps your knowledge of the job, but unfortunately, advancement seems to be limited even if you do know the ins and outs of the job, more than likely a person with the "right" qualifications and no idea of work to be done is given preference over the poor bunny who started at the bottom, and even if you are lucky to get the promotion, the wages received are a lot lower than if they hired someone from "outside"

Wiggo
12-19-2001, 01:52 PM
Ahhhh ^^there's^^ Olie the culprit caught by his own admission too. :D

Bern
12-19-2001, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Albinus
[B]But by and large the TAFE is too busy trying to make $$$ so they suck up to M$ :cry:

If thats their prime motivation then you'd think they'd be using the least expensive solution not one of the most expensive ones...or are M$ academic prices that cheap?

Olie
12-19-2001, 03:22 PM
Ahhhh ^^there's^^ Olie the culprit caught by his own admission too. :D

WHAT THE [email protected] ARE YOU ON ABOUT BOY?!?!?!?!!?!?!??!!??!

Andy
12-19-2001, 03:38 PM
i think he was talking about you saying you don't have a virus scanner ;)

Bern
12-19-2001, 03:42 PM
I don't have a virus scanner.......BWAhahahahahahahaha

Olie
12-19-2001, 03:42 PM
well
i have no viruses so there is no ned

Albinus
12-19-2001, 05:00 PM
well
i have no viruses so there is no ned

What's your email address - we can change that ;) :D

Albinus
12-19-2001, 05:01 PM
If thats their prime motivation then you'd think they'd be using the least expensive solution not one of the most expensive ones...or are M$ academic prices that cheap?

What I meant is M$ pays them for using Windows products and kicking *nix under the carpet :(

Just being monopolistic I suppose :hmph:

Bern
12-19-2001, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Albinus
[B]

What I meant is M$ pays them for using Windows products and kicking *nix under the carpet :(

Just being monopolistic I suppose :hmph:
Maybe we should mail this thread to ACA...no scratch that..the ACA website is on ninemsn....

Andy
12-19-2001, 05:21 PM
lol, how ironic

Olie
12-19-2001, 05:36 PM
What's your email address - we can change that ;) :D
no point in telling you

only specified email adresses enter my pc directly, other ones are opened on a remotre pc on the net

Wiggo
12-19-2001, 07:04 PM
Olie[/size]]
WHAT THE [email protected] ARE YOU ON ABOUT BOY?!?!?!?!!?!?!??!!??!

More to the point would be I think what happened to ya post about not usin' a virus scanner son? :?:

Andy
12-19-2001, 07:27 PM
More to the point would be I think what happened to ya post about not usin' a virus scanner son? :?:

don't worry wiggo, its still there, about half way down the first page :)

Wiggo
12-19-2001, 07:31 PM
Yep I can see it now that I've taken my glasses off. :D

Andy
12-19-2001, 07:33 PM
lol, ya blind old bat :p

Wiggo
12-19-2001, 08:25 PM
I really don't know why I wear them as they're only ever any good when I'm tired. :?:

Slamo
12-20-2001, 07:35 AM
In fact, 80% of people in the IT industry have no formal qualifications......... if you want to work your arse off for /hour as a technician - feel free, but TAFE will help you get into a better job such as a Network Engineer (at least /hour) :)

What exactly does a network engineer do?

Albinus
12-20-2001, 07:37 AM
They're the monkeys who work under system administrators - laying cables, crawling through celings, basically keeping the network well-oiled and the like :)

Mr. C
12-20-2001, 08:48 AM
They're the monkeys who work under system administrators - laying cables, crawling through celings, basically keeping the network well-oiled and the like :)

In other words; Step-n-Fetch:cackle:

Essential personal to any successful venture:thumb:

Slamo
12-20-2001, 09:47 AM
Hmmmm...........$35 / hour sounds too much for someone who crawls through cielings???? :confused:

Wiggo
12-20-2001, 12:15 PM
But that's not all they do either. ;)

Osiris
12-20-2001, 12:18 PM
But that's not all they do either. ;)

Yeah, they have to fetch coffee!

Albinus
12-20-2001, 02:47 PM
Yeah, they have to fetch coffee!

No - that's for the technicians to do :laugh:

And Wiggo you are indeed correct - it's a jack-of-all-trades position, but does involve networking stuff........ usually :rolleyes: