win 98se

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win 98se

Anyone know how big windows 98se is.. i have to dual boot but i put xp on first and i don't want to format so i was going to put it on a smaller drive instead.. but how much space do i need for it.. also as an alternative does anyone know of a good ghosting program that i wouldn't have to pay for that i could use to just move my xp over to another drive.. thanks for the help

Depending on what you install, I think you can end up with as much as a 275MB install. Mine usually end up around 235MB. I think a bare minimum install is about 180MB.

I use Norton ghost which came with my motherboard, but you may be able to find a trial version of a ghosting program. I have seen/used them in the past, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Try a google search, if Mr. C doesn't sneak in a post soon. :hammer:
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

Like any M$ os it will grow so I wouldn't put it on a drive or partition less than 1.5GB as ya also have to have room for the swap file unless ya dedicate a different partition for that. I put 98SE plus Office 97 together on a 2GB partition with the swap file on the same partition. :smokin:

Comment

Yeah Wiggo, I was just thinking about a clean install. I didn't even think about the swap file. I have Win98se on a 1.5G partition as well. That gives me room for updates and a few system programs that I keep on the C: Drive as well. I keep my swap file static at 256M. That seems to work for me. Also a lot easier to defrag 1.5G than the whole harddrive at once.:thumb:
        Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

i know that the minimun for win95 is like 90 megs and that is damn small

Comment

I think 110MB is the minimum for 98 and 130MB for SE though ya'd be missin' out on a lot of good features. ;)

Comment

Working...
            X