Epox 4G4A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epox 4G4A

I got this mate of mine who just bought a system with the epox 4g4a board and 2.26ghz P4 CPU and 512mb DDR333.

The problem is that when the computer is running at DDR333 it won't even install WinXP without saying files cant be found and if it does install the system is incredible unstable and always gets blue screens.

We've tried different HDD so its not that. And the system runs fine at DDR266. The ram he's got in it is some no name stuff that cost A$210 or something like that.

Is it that ram thats causing the instability cos according to the review of the 4G4A at Tweaktown the board seems to run fine at DDR333.

What BIOS are you using?
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Low cost generic memory is the root of all evil and the cause of most problems as seldom will it perform up to standard. :(
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Ok I just came across an interesting while goin' thru the news email box on a review at Hexus which maybe your problem.
        One thing to note about the EPoX was its unofficial support for DDR333 memory and while untested in terms of this review and by default having the wrong memory multiplier for DDR333 support (4:3 instead of 5:4 giving 176MHz memory at 133MHz CPU front side bus instead of 166MHz), after the board had left my hands it became apparent that DDR333 support and the correct multiplier was present upon adjusting a jumper on the board. Worth investigating if your memory can't quite do DDR354 speeds.
        This maybe your problem too but it would be best to set your system up first in an untweaked state then tweak it up after you have the system up and runnin'. ;)

Comment

i already updated to the latest bios available on the Epox website and still the same problems.

I'll have a look at that Wiggo...thanks :thumb:

Comment

Well i've had a look through the manual on the Epox website and no mention of a jumper that changes the multiplier for the memory clock :confused:

Does anyone know where the jumper maybe?

Comment

Actually its teh FSB jumper you need to set

You need to change it from Auto to the speed of your CPU

either 100 or 133Mhz

try that

Comment

Ahhhh thanks for that Soverign
                I'll give that a go and see what happens :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                  Ok I just came across an interesting while goin' thru the news email box on a review at Hexus which maybe your problem.
                  This maybe your problem too but it would be best to set your system up first in an untweaked state then tweak it up after you have the system up and runnin'. ;)
                  the 4:3 ratio is for running DDR266 w/a 100FSB P4 - I was under the impression that a 5:4 ratio was present when the FSB was set at 133 for running DDR333.

If you OC a 100MHz FSB settin to 133 & set the ratio to 4:3 - the memory does indeed run at DDR354 - Decent DDR333 like Samsung, should be able to handle that :D

Comment

Guys,

I have this same board and I bought a stick of samsung ddr333. I'll be running a p4 2.4 (533 edition). I just want it to be stable. Will I have to OC it for my ram to be reconigzed as true ddr333 (perfer not to if possible)? Little confuesed. :confused: Thanks!

Comment

I beleive that id the FSB is set at 133(533 eff.) you will have the option of settin the memory speed at a 1:1 ratio with the FSB for DDR266 or 5:4 with the FSB for DDR266

At a 100FSB - the options are 1:1 for DDR200 or 4:3 for DDR266.

So to answer your question - no you don't have to OC for DDR333 support with a P4/533FSB

Comment

Yeah i'll tell my friend that.....but knowing how much he knows about computers i had better do it myself ! :D

It's set to Auto for the FSB now so i'll go and manually switch it to 133mhz and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help all :thumb:

Comment

Alrighty got the right 5:4 multiplier now but still it crashes sometimes in Windows.

I was just wondering what the memory timing settings should be set to in the BIOS. At the moment its set by SPD but it's unstable. Should I set it to Normal or manually set it? If so what timings are required?
                          :confused:

Comment

Try Normal and see how that goes then some manual tweaking maybe required. ;)

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply Wiggo :cheers:
                              I'll see how that goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X