Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiet Fans

Hey guys,

I picked up a case that has room for 5 fans. One in the front (either 120mm, 90mm, or 80mm), one 80mm on the top, one 80mm on the side, and two 80mm on the back.

Do you guys have any recommendation for quiet ball baring fans? I mean really quiet? I found ones that are a little over 2000rpms and like 21db. Are these rpms to low?

Also, I realize that my front fan is an intake fan, but what others would be an intake fan. The side one? Would one of the back ones be an intake? (I would think not:confused: )

I guess Sunon fans are quiet I have a bunch of sunon fans on my comp and when I unplug my delta on the wbk my computer is very quiet, well not compared to other computers but you get my point. Anyway I would assume that the front fan would be an intake fan the top fan would be exaust the side fan would be intake and the back fan would be exaust. Also the power supply which is as well an exaust fan. I guess its always better to have one more exaust then intake cause its better to vent hot air away from the components rather then to blow cool air on them.

Comment

I've been using this set of Sunon fans for about three years now. Not only are they good, but they last quite a while.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Sunons are Great, Panaflo's are also great.

Here is a site that can help you ALOT... if you don't see a Specific model on there, compare Sizes, CFM's and RPM's to estimate what the noise level will be.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/tecar.html

And to start you off, most people consider the Delta 60mm "Black Label" Fan to be very Loud (that fan is listed as Fan #6 on that list. I had one in my case.... not for long..

You can use the 'dba' scale to reference. A fan rated at 42 dba, compared with a fan rated at 32 dba, will be twice as loud. Every 10 point increment higher, is TWICE as loud. dba is on an exponential scale, and so if you want quiet, shoot for fans that barely have visible graphs.

Comment

I think it was 20DB that is absolutly silent. True?

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll look into those suggestions! What rpm speed should i be looking at with five fans (6 with the powers upply)?

Thnaks:p

Comment

I think it was 20DB that is absolutly silent. True?
              No. 20 db is a whisper... technically Zero is completely silent.

Taken from the lower part of the page I linked to above... :
              the sound of a whisper rated at 20 dB; a vacuum cleaner rated at 70 dB; and a jet engine at take-off rated at 110 dB.

Comment

yea generally anything under about 35db isn't annoying...although some manufacturers lie about their noise ratings...e.g thermaltake rate their blue orb @26db when it;s actually more like 40:cheers:

Comment

The 21 db is fine, what's the cfm?

Comment

I like stuff really quiet... so I shoot for under 30 almost all the time. And if the fans are on the outside edges of the case, then I shoot for under 25 because all that noise is coming right out.

Comment

new builder: What did you decide on your fans?

Comment

just one thing, I am new to overclocking and this board but I do know Audio stuff (my 1st love). A 3dB increase is actually twice as loud, you will find this explained on most any Audio Forum in the FAQ section.:geek:
                        Also manufacturers do lie about dB ratings I have several different fans I ordered that were rated all rated at 30dB, some were LOUD. you might want to order either temp. controlled fans or manually adj. fans then you can balance the air moved with the noise yourself. Oh and 21dB is nearly sillent, you hear the air turbulance more than the fan itself.

Comment

Please post a picture so that all of us can enjoy your case. Sounds great.

Comment

this thread is going to help me with my fans...thanx
                            SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Yes it will E^vol. If all the specs like noise level and cfm were displayed where they sell the fans it would be easier to choose.

Comment

Working...
                              X