Cpu Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cpu Fan

When i bought my processor, the guy told me that the Vantec 6035D was really good, so being stupid I bought it.

Now I am tired of the sound it makes and the performance i get. My cpu is at 60Celsius idle, and in unreal tournament, can go up to 70degre, while the room temp is around 22Celsius.

On Dansdata webpage I saw that my fan on my heatsink is a Delta AFB0612EH (60mm fan)
    http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp_p4.htm#CCK6035D

Now my question: Which fan would you advise me to put on my heatsink (copper base)? or which HSF would you recommend?

I'd like something that can keep my cpu cooler, and if possible, with lower noise

my computer is as follow:
    Athlon Xp 1800+ running at 1,53
    Asus A7V266-EX
    512 kingston DDR 2100
    Maxtor 40gigs 7200rpm ata100
    Soundblaster Audigy
    16X10X40 Yamaha Ide
    Asus 50X

(got a new case on the way, Lian LI PC86 usb, and I used the thermal compound that came with the Vantec 6035d)

Well I would probably recommend the Volcano 7 because not only does it look the coolest but I think its the best as of now. I'm not sure though. It is also copper based.

Comment

The Volcano 9 is the best so far with regards to normal coolers (no four-hole mounting). It also uses an 80mm fan with an adjustable fan speed so you can decide how much cooling (and noise) that you need at any given moment.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

VOLCANO 9!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WHERE HAVE I BEEN? When was the volcano 8 released. Apparently I got some catching up to do. I wanted to get a volcano 7 but 9?

Comment

Don't worry about it too much RD..., the Volcano 9 is a Dud.

Proof: http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp_p4.htm
          (Or just click my attached image....)

Earns a score of .60 Degrees Celcius per Watt cooled, compared with the score .52 of the Volcano 7+, and of course, lower is better, and even compared with every heatsink made in the past two years, the volcano9 is average at best.

Not to mention it is noisier and probably much more expensive than the Volcano 7.

Comment

So if I were to upgrade my CPU to something more powerful like one of the higher end AthlonXP's or even wait a while and actually wait for the hammer to be released. I should stick with volcano 7 or whatever is best at that time.

Comment

Yup, and I expect the Volcano 9 to sell for 40$+ and since the Volcano 7+ is so much cheaper, not a single volcano 9 should be purchased.

Unless of course you like Orange , noise, paying alot, and poor performance. Even the Volcano 6Cu+ out performs it! :eek:

Comment

See that's why I like the price/performance value of the Volcano 7+ plus under most conditions only medium fan speed is required. ;)
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Lets asy I bought a standard volcano 7 and slapped it on my Athlon THunderbird and went away with my WBK38 not only will my CPU temps drop but will my case temps drop as well? As well as noise levels? :?: :D

Comment

Just make sure you get the Volcano 7+ because the Volcano 7 is very different, and not nearly as good.

Comment

Originally posted by zeradul
                      the Volcano 9 is a Dud.
                      Pffft...

I'll still go with the results that I got on my own system. It can't even hold a candle to the V6, so I'll just leave the rest of my comments concerning that to myself.

As for the noise level, it too is adjustable like the Volcano 7+ setup and even when it runs full bore, it is a lower noise level than any high-speed 60mm fan that I've tested so far.

ReSpAwN DeMoN,
                      Don't worry about missing one of the Volcano series. To my knowledge, there hasn't been a V8 produced for consumer sales.
                      My Toys

Comment

Well what kind of differences are there between the Volcano 7 and the Volcano 7+ basically so far there is a 30 dollar difference but other then that lets speak from a physical point of view. The volcano 7+ has the fan speed control which most likely I won't use, then there is another thing to consider that I don't even know about. The clip design on the volcano 7 uses the center tab and only the center tab. What if it breaks off??? Does the volcano 7+ take advantage of all three? Let me know.

Comment

RD... the answer is simple... the 7+ is solid copper. The 7 is not. Copper rules, Aluminum sucks when compared on the scale of ability to conduct heat.

Darth: Please don't take offense. The only source I trust more than DansData is anandtech.

And I am just saying that compared with the Volcano 7+, the Volcano 9 is a Dud. All aspects compared... Price, Noise, Performance, etc.

Comment

The main difference is the fan used. The original Volcano 7 allows for ONLY temperature regulated fan speeds. When I tested it, the good airflow that I have going through my case degraded the cooling qualities because the thermistor always thought it was running real cool. It was placed just to the side of the fan itself.

The Volcano 7+ has an adjustment that can be set by YOU. Even if you don't decide to change it out, you decide how fast it runs... not some bogus self-deciding piece of diode.

Also the Volcano 7+ has a fully copper heatsink while the older model was aluminum with a copper slug in the center.

Both of these coolers were reviewed here at TweakTown, so you can see for yourself what the differences were. The Volcano 7+ was by far the better cooler.

As for the clip, I believe that Wiggo had said in another thread that they had changed out to a six-lug clip design. :)
                            My Toys

Comment

Yes if ya go the 7+ make sure that it's the latest version that holds all 6 lugs but over here if ya can still find the V7 it's actually a bit dearer than the V7+. ;)
                              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
                              X