O/C'ing Slot A & MX400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/C'ing Slot A & MX400

I can't think of why I never got around to doing this earlier, but today I overclocked my 2 years old Athlon PC (and good thing too, since I noticed one of the CPU fans was dead).

Anyway, the specs are:

Slot A 700 Mhz Athlon Classic
    Gigabyte GA-7VX-1 Motherboard
    Hercules GF 2 MX400 Video
    Hercules Muse XL Audio
    Generic NIC (Realtek chipset, 8029)

Since I don't have a Goldfinger gimzo, I o/c'ed by increasing the FSP to 110 Mhz (smallest amount possible on the MB, using jumpers).

That means CPU is now at 770 Mhz
    PCI @ 37 Mhz
    AGP @ 74 Mhz
    and Memory @ 146 Mhz (1.33 x 110)

I'm pretty sure CPU can handle 770 Mhz (cache ram is probably a bit stretched) but what about the bus speeds? Are they too high, or can the system handle it?

I did try Quake 3 and 3D Mark 2000 and they worked ok so far.

Another thing. What is the reasonable amount by which the Herc MX400 card can be overclocked?

That's probably as fast as you'll get it to go without gettin' hold of a GFD that has a core voltage adjustment seein' as your motherboard doesn't provide it. You maybe lucky and get the 115MHz FSB to work but that's very unlikely with that chipset.
    But a good job just the same. :thumb:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

heh yea good job...:)
      damn i missed out on all the fun with goldfinger devices and slot athlons:(

Comment

Too bad for you. :p My very first O'C was with my Athlon Classic 650MHz. Got it to hum along at 850MHz. I learned a lot from that experience. T-Birds were cake after that.
        Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

hehe yea good old days:(

Comment

Working...
          X