New 266 MOBO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 266 MOBO

I am gonna upgrade a bit ..and replace my 933 PIII with an AMD 1700+, some PC2100 memory, and a 266 chip MOBO and a maybe GeForce 3 Ti200. I was thinking something inexpensive since it is only an upgrade everything else will be from my old HP. Maybe a ABit or EPoX for a mobo...anyone recommend one with a 266 chipset around 70-90 USD? No Raid, i don't need integrated anything (i've got my nic, soundcard and obviously my video card) nothing big...
    Thanks for your time guys...: peace2:

P.S. any other recommendations like Video Card, Memory...anything will be also...taken into consideration...Thank You

FLACO
    - Damien

EPoX 8KHA+
    KT266A chipset, but has built-in sound since it is natively supported by the chipset itself.

$84.80 at www.mwave.com or $92.00 at www.newegg.com

It also overclocks like a champ, so if you decide to play a bit, you can. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Abit KG7. It supports PC2100, ATA100 and is extremely cheap at the moment. Also the KT266a epox board isnt that good. There are better ones for cheaper, i would just stick to Abit. If you are keen on epox though you could look at the 8K7A i think thats cheaper

Comment

Also the KT266a epox board isnt that good.
        Ok, "Its not good" is not a reason. A debate needs more than just pure contradiction, as seen HERE

By all means, present some benchmarks, or some personal experiences or any facts of any kind that lead YOU to believe "its not good"

Comment

I too would be interested in seeing why this board is so bad. Especially considering that I have been using one myself for quite some time now. With both my older Athlon Thunderbird and my current Athlon XP it has run flawlessly. It overclocks very well and has no stability issues. It also allows a decent array of voltage settings and all from within the BIOS.

All this for under US$85 and it sucks? Please explain.

Oh... the 8K7A uses the AMD761 chipset. The performance numbers will not be in your favor if you use this board; especially if you have plans on overclocking in the future. There were a number of issues with this chipset if I recall, so consider wisely. It is cheaper than the 8KHA+ because it lacks.
          My Toys

Comment

I've been used a few MSI K7T266 Pro2-A's of late and they seem decent and stable:

Comment

The reason why i placed EPoX on my upgrade list is to try something new plus i have heard only good things about them. What do you guys think about ABiT's Abit KR7A-133 VIA KT266A?..the reason i ask is that its only 75 bucks or 77 with a raid controller...THX again
              - Damien

Comment

OK i just found a Shuttle Brand MOBO for 49 bucks at newegg.com. It has the VIA 266 chip and has audio as well. It supports both SDRam and DDR. My question, and the answer is prolly no...but i had to ask, is...if a mobo supports both types of memory could both memories be used at the same time?
                I have 512 of PC133 from my p3 HP so i was wondering...doesn't hurt to ask...thanks.: peace2:
                - Damien

Comment

Actually I believe the answer is YES....

A long time ago I had a friend who used to have a mobo that had SD-RAm slots AND Edo slots, and he could use both types of memory at the same time, as amazing as that sounds i saw it with my own eyes.

Comment

Boards that support both SDRAM and DDR SDRAM can not use both types at the same time only one or the other. There are timing issues here that no chipset can handle with a mix. :smokin:
                    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by Flaco
                      OK i just found a Shuttle Brand MOBO for 49 bucks at newegg.com. It has the VIA 266 chip
                      Make sure to get one with the KT266A chipset if you're going that route. The original KT266 was pretty shoddy when it first came out. That little A at the end makes a world of difference. :)
                      My Toys

Comment

And if that the Shuttle AK31 make sure that it's a REV 3.1 or you'll be in **** creek. :eek:
                        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

It isn't the KT266A...if wasn't for you guys i would have been shafted...i think i will go for the KR7 from ABiT..what do you think...?:?:
                          - Damien

Comment

I still like my choice, but Abit makes a good board. It shouldn't disappoint. :)

On a side note... I haven't heard why EPoX sucks so bad so I guess there was a lack of proof? :?: :?:
                            My Toys

Comment

He's probably still looking for that proof.. could be looking for a while. :)

Just for the record, I'm with fragman on the MSI KT266A Pro2-A board.. Got one myself and love it. :D

Comment

Working...
                              X