PDA

View Full Version : Does Your Mid-Tower Rule?

zeradul
07-29-2002, 06:57 AM
Well, if it does, or even if it only has a unique aspect or two that you enjoy, PLEASE tell me about it! I am in the market for one in the very near future, and I am looking for suggestions.

If your case rules, include the manufacturer and model #. If you could include one picture of it, I would appreciate that as well. Then just two or three unique aspects your case has that you are glad you have, but you can describe it in as much detail as you want. Including where you purchased it from is helpful as well.

Being a Modder, My only 'factory' citeria is that it MUST have is:

* At least (3) 5.25" bays.

Other than that, I can add any other features I want on my own.

Thanks for your help.

chisholm
07-29-2002, 05:09 PM
well a good bet is an in-win506 like i have....it looks quite nice, is sturdy, no sharp corners, cheap and is quite spacious....and also has 3 5.25" bays...unfortunately i don't know where to get a picture from....
btw the only drawback is there;s no front fan cradle...and u can't mod a hole in teh front bcos the LED's are down there...but it looks damn sexy :D

Wiggo
07-29-2002, 05:28 PM
AOpen H600A (http://www.aopen.com/products/housing/h600a.htm) ;)
:beer: :beer: :beer:

ReSpAwN DeMoN
07-30-2002, 05:52 AM
I'm a bit confused you see I'm not sure if mine is a mid tower or a full size. What is the difference? Mine has 4 5 1/4's and 1 3 1/2 external and 3 3 1/2 internal. Now what else I've seen on both is the interior and spaciuosness. My case has no room above the power supply. There for the top of the mobo kind of interferes with the 3rd 5 1/4 drive bay. I've seen cases where the drive bays are quite a bit above the mobo and there is alot of room above the PSU. Is that a server type case? What exactly is mine. A full size or mid tower. Thanks

Wiggo
07-30-2002, 10:08 AM
DS Midtowers have either 3 or 4 x 5.25" bays as Fulltowers have 6 of these. ;)
<center>:cheers:</center>

ReSpAwN DeMoN
07-30-2002, 10:11 AM
So my case is a mid-tower? :cry:

Full size cases also have room above the PSU right?

zeradul
07-30-2002, 11:11 AM
Yes, room for a second power supply, easily.

1 + 2 (5.25" bays) = Mini Tower
3 + 4 (5.25" bays) = Mid Tower
6 (5.25" bays) = Full Tower

And then there are desktop cases which sit flat on the desk, and then there are a few exceptions, like giant server cases with wheels, and Cases with nothing but 12-14 SCSI CD-Rom's.

Yes, it can be very confusing when everyone tries to describe their lines as 'server cases' or 'workstations' etc etc. :thumbs do

FLaCo
07-30-2002, 11:44 AM
Remember me...zeradul...anyhow...where do you keep you Full Tower Zera?...that Shat must be big as fack...mine barely fits...and its a Mid Tower.

zeradul
07-30-2002, 01:22 PM
Next to my desk.

Well, I have scoured the case sites, and I am down to this one. http://www.antec-inc.com/en_plus860.html

Here is a review, with multiple pictures. Can anyone top this?
http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/cases/antecplus860/page2.shtml

I plan to have this case a long time. But you still have time to make your suggestions! Please do so!

ReSpAwN DeMoN
07-30-2002, 01:27 PM
heh well being mine is a cough:MID TOWER:cough :cry: I would recommend it to you but unfortuneatly coolerguys.com doesn't make it anymore. They don't make any of there own cases as a matter of fact. They now mod antec towers and stuff. The entire wind tunnel series was terminated unfortuneatly. The only wind tunnel left is a wind tunnel 4 (or 3) and its not even the original version! :(

zeradul
07-31-2002, 01:47 AM
What is the model of your case? Believe it or not, I can get any case that was ever made... used... ebay is an incredible thing.

So what model was it, and do you have a picture? Tell me the reasons why I might want to get your case.

ReSpAwN DeMoN
07-31-2002, 02:11 AM
Well I'm not sure about the model number but it is called the Wind Tunnel Plus rev2 as stated in my profile. Not the wind tunnel plus but the wind tunnel plus rev2. The standard wind tunnel plus was a self build kit. Anyway in terms of options its probably a standard case I can't think of anything that would make it any better or worse then any other case. In terms of looks. They have the nicest looks I've ever seen. You also get good cooling as a bonus. When you don't have a delta black label in there, its not really that loud. I bought my case from coolerguys.com for like 120 and the power supply (fortron source) for 55 but this was about one year ago. The fans in the case are as follows. One 80MM exaust fan on top, one 80MM exaust fan in the back below the PSU, dual 92MM intake fans on the side panel, one 80MM intake fan in the bottom front, and dual 35MM intake fans for the hard drive.

http://members.fortunecity.com/respawndemon/beforeandafter.jpg

FLaCo
07-31-2002, 06:55 AM
That Antec case looks alot like mine...two 80mm in the front and two on the back...4 5.25 and 2 external 3.5 and 4 3.5 internal. They have one at newegg for 70 bucks, black or white...with a 420 Turbo Link PSU. Don't think the white is in stock.

zeradul
07-31-2002, 07:34 AM
What model is that Flaco?

Is there a version of that model without a door? And does it have any accessory connections on the front?

Corduroy
07-31-2002, 01:44 PM
Flaco,

Your case is refered to by many names. It is called a Chenming, Chieftec, Antec, etc etc

They are the best cases I have seen lately. The are solid, very thick gauge metal. They have adequate fans, and I have seen them with really cool windows mods etc.

If anyone knows where I can find one of these Chenming clones that is a full tower with no door and is black in color, I would be forever in debt to your web surfing excellence.

**Alienware is also using this case model**

Wiggo
07-31-2002, 02:15 PM
Try here as they seem to have most of the versions of those cases, http://www.directron.com/cases---case-fans.html , with differing front panels. ;)
<center>:cheers:</center>

FLaCo
08-01-2002, 12:56 AM
The model of that case is CHIEFTEC Server Chasis (Workstation Tower) Model DX-01BD-420W. I suppose the case alone would be minus the 420W part of the model number. As for one without a door i haven't seen one at least at newegg. You can always remove the door it really simple...just like removing an empty toliet paper roll. By accessory connections, you mean HDD light and power LED? If so then yes, its all there with all your screws and screwless/slide-in cd-rom installation. Corduroy was right when he mentioned the metal has a thick guage, it gave me some trouble when making a mod.

The side panel does not have any blowholes or anything like...i don't know if you were looking for a case with that. They do sell that case with one blow hole, but i decided to go with the one without it, since my intentions were to mod two on there anyways.

Take Care...: peace2:

zeradul
08-01-2002, 03:14 AM
Ok, Thanks for the thorough reponse.

I know the door can be removed, i just like the sleek sexy look of no door, all the time. Plus the only time I would actually want a door is when I am carrying it, which isn't that often... And I hate how the drive bays look with the 'finger access' holes on the left and right of the drives.

Ok, by accessory attachments, I mean USB, and Firewire, (possibly audio?)

I am not interested in manufactured blowholes either, I like my own positioning.

FLaCo
08-03-2002, 04:16 AM
Sorry for the late response. The answer is no...it has no connections of that sort. Its very simple front with the ripple like this ((((((( that comes in front of the case which are the vents for both of your front intake fans. So it won't be your case if thats what you are looking for. I know it makes for easier connection especially, memory stick hubs, game controllers, etc...: peace2:

zeradul
08-03-2002, 10:46 AM
Ok, well thanks for everyone's help in this thread... Here is what I decided on... (See bottom pic)

See the 8 page review HERE (http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/cases/antecplus860/page3.shtml) (lotsa pics)

And I got my very own Here: (compare with newegg for 135$ shipped)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2041738386&rd=1
This seller doesn't quite have as good of feedback as I usually prefer buying from, but I emailed 6 people who also bought this case from him, and 5 of them were very happy with what they got, and one said his was missing two drive rails, but the seller did send to additional drive rails at no extra cost.

Here are the Unique features of the case:

Large Removable fan filter
Front USB/Firewire ports (behind flip up door)
Comes with a pair of 80mm fans
330watt PSU included which has special fan plugs to allow the PSU to speed up the fans or slow them down automatically.
Extra LEDs on front (4 Total)
Incredibly sturdy

zeradul
08-03-2002, 10:51 AM
Here is the pic that didn't get uploaded last time :hmph: :hmph:

FLaCo
08-04-2002, 12:13 AM
ZeraduL i am as conviced as you are. This case has all you want: room, strength, and good looks. Its not too out of this world "spacey" looking. Str8 to the point looks with useful connections and a good amount of cooling.

Hope it goes well with the eBay: peace2:

zeradul
08-04-2002, 03:25 AM
It will, the case was shipped 10 hours after I bid, and I have the tracking number. Its already 30% of the way here (2500 miles) (after a day and a half)

ALOT of people have a wierd ebay phobia. Don't listen to them. If you take the time to understand how ebay works, and choose every seller carefully, eBay will be a wonderfully inexpensive experience. And here is another myth; everything on ebay is used. Not true. Depending on the category, 30 - 80% of the items are brand new. And so if you want only new stuff, there is PLENTY to choose from.

The only thing you have to fear on ebay is your own Ignorance to how the system works. eBay has a flawless system going.

FLaCo
08-04-2002, 04:22 AM
Good for you ZeRaDuL.:thumb:

My friend and i have ordered comic books from users on ebay...and lemme tell with just few just a few exceptions they come in mint condition. There was one instance where the seller delieverd the comic witha small dent on the corner...we emailed him and he emailed us w/ a response and told us to send it back. It was prolly Priority's mail fault but i was not content with it. So with out a problem we sent it back.

phalanx2k
08-08-2002, 11:30 PM
Only 1 choice from me Antec SX1240 :shoot: All the drive bays you could ever want , enough fan mounts to make it hover above the floor , and big enough to do what ever modding you want to do

Wiggo
08-09-2002, 12:55 AM
My next case, Antec PLUS1080AMG (http://www.antec-inc.com/en_plus1060.html), approxiately $250aus. ;)
:beer: :beer: :beer:

zeradul
08-12-2002, 05:45 AM
Well, My case arrived Wed. afternoon. And it rules.

Every aspect is the utmost of quality, except for one problem not mentioned (or even noticed?) by any reviewer.

The filter is an absolute joke. A filter is only effective if the air you are filtering goes THROUGH the filter!. And NO attempt was made to make a seal, so there is a 5mm gap around the filter in every direction. Even if the filter is PERFECTLY clean, I estimate only 60% of the air goes through it, and if the filter becomes even partially blocked, the air can EASILY go around the filter. :thumbs do :thumbs do Left as it is, the filter blocks nothing but giant dust bunnies that have already formed on your floor.

Not to mention, the filter isn't exactly 'good' filter material. Its not horrible, but not even 20% as good as a thin 'foam' filter. BUT, even with the compromised filter material, it still would be 'decent' had there been an attempt at designing a seal around the filter. And it would NOT have been difficult.

It has already become my first mod, and after about 45 minutes with some careful hot glue, and pipe cleaners, I will have a decent seal around the filter. BUT this could have been done by an intelligent case designer in 2 minutes, with no added cost or difficulty in the production of the case.

Its still a great case, but I didn't pay for the best case money can buy to have to mod one of the features it sold me on. :hmph:

drpeterbright
08-12-2002, 10:22 AM
Can you seal the gap around the filter? What color are you going to paint your beast?

zeradul
08-12-2002, 11:35 AM
It has already become my first mod, and after about 45 minutes with some careful hot glue, and pipe cleaners, I will have a decent seal around the filter.
Thats what I plan to use....

zeradul
08-13-2002, 12:46 PM
After some more thought, I have decided to use some thin foam weather stripping. Which will work much better than my previous idea...

:thumb: :thumb:

FLaCo
08-13-2002, 01:15 PM
Well ZerA i am glad you have your case...and you are happy with it...:thumb:

drpeterbright
08-14-2002, 03:49 AM
zeradul Get us pics as it's going along the mod trail.

zeradul
08-14-2002, 05:21 AM
Don't worry about that. I mod in bunches though, so don't expect to see it all at once... heh.

drpeterbright
08-19-2002, 09:10 AM
It's been about a week, any progress?

zeradul
08-19-2002, 10:10 AM
Yea, I bought a webcam, and it should be here any day.

drpeterbright
08-19-2002, 10:21 AM
Great. I need one myself as my old one is at my office to spy on the hallway. What have you found that's good?

zeradul
08-19-2002, 01:14 PM
I got a Logitech QuickCam.

drpeterbright
08-19-2002, 01:23 PM
What did it set you back?

zeradul
08-19-2002, 02:06 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2040834743

I had a buddy snipe it when I couldn't be around that night. And if you're asking "What Win98 only" - Yea, my laptop can't handle XP. So for 9.50 I've turned my lappy into a DV cam, and a digial camera. Hah. :p

drpeterbright
08-19-2002, 09:57 PM
What a deal.