X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamer? Designer? Ait? Nvidia?

$200 - ATI 8500DV
    $200 - nVIDIA MSI TI4400

I'm a Graphic Designer and a Gamer and I can't make up my mind between these two video cards. They are about the same price, but with different capibilites. Below is a description of what I'll be using it for. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Designer-
    3D Max animations and FX
    Photoshop
    Video Compression
    Video Editing

Gamer-
    Unreal Tournament 2003
    Unreal Tournament 2003
    Unreal Tournament 2003
    ...and did I mention Unreal Tournament 2003...

I think most would take the GF4 over the Radeon - although I don't use most of the software you listed...

seems like a very good price for a GF4Ti4400 & a bad price for a Radeon8500DV though

Comment

the ATI 8500DV is the ALL IN WONDER. it's the one with the 2 firewire ports.

Comment

then I guess it comes down to how much you want the All-in-Wonder features then - A Radeon8500 will run UT2003 just fine

Comment

There's probably also a slightly better visual clarity coming from the Radeon, which is a bonus for graphic design. Also the Radeon, with the video input / output gives you a lot of options for the future, such as video editing, capturing stills, etc. Plus it will play UT 2003... :)

Comment

Def. get the 8500AIW. Better image quality, lots more nice features, and will run unreal at past 100FPS easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ehhe Yebeb
              Def. get the 8500AIW. Better image quality, lots more nice features, and will run unreal at past 100FPS easy.
              Whoa there.. I wouldn't go that far. He's talking Unreal Tournament 2003 here. I've got the pre-release version, and on my system (Ath 1800+, GF3) I have to kill all the pretty setting and set the res to 800x600 just to get a playable frame rate.

So it won't easily run UT2003 at over 100 fps, but it will run it pretty well

Comment

Anyone tried a ATI 8500DV with UT2003?

Comment

Photoshop
                  Video Compression
                  Video Editing

Those items do NOT require video card power so any card over a TNT2 will display them *wonderfully*

I have not used 3D studio Max, so I cannot comment on how it works, and how demanding it is. If it is at all like a 3D game, 3D modeler, or 3D cad program, then you WILL see a significant performance increase with a card better than a TNT2.

But as expected, for the average person, the ONLY thing that uses any 3D power availiable today are GAMES.

so RDR is right....
                  then I guess it comes down to how much you want the All-in-Wonder features then
                  The GF4 is significantly more powerful, but doesn't have the features.

Comment

Thank you, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by zeradul
                      I have not used 3D studio Max, so I cannot comment on how it works, and how demanding it is. If it is at all like a 3D game, 3D modeler, or 3D cad program, then you WILL see a significant performance increase with a card better than a TNT2.
                      As far as I know, 3DSMax uses a fair chunk out of your whole system, especially your video card. People with better / faster 3D cards will be able to render scenes faster on the fly and in general get a better view of everything.

Comment

That is kinda what I thought.

Comment

Working...
                        X