• What power supply?

Here is my list so far.
    ---------
    ASUS A7V333 or ASUS A7V266
    AMD XP 1900
    Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
    Lite On 16X DVD
    PNY GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64MB

Only thing I'm confused on is the power supply. I won't be doing any overclocking, for now, just running it out of the box. i'm thinking I should go with a 350w but don't know. Should I get a 400w just to be safe? I heard Enermax is a good PSU but don't want to spend $100 just for power.

A 350w PSU should be fine but future upgrades may need more, but then again maybe not. ;)
    Topower and Super Flower PSU's are made by the same chinese company as Enermax PSU's are but at a reduced price so keep an eye out for them as well plus Antec PSU's are good too. :thumb:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

350W will be fine. I'm running an Athlon XP 1800+, GF3, 4 IDE drives and so on off a 250W PSU.. so I think 350W will be plenty. (Note: I don't actually suggest trying to do it off a 250W PSU.. I'm just stupid)

Comment

I won't comment. :D
        :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Comment

at least I was honest. and I'm not having any problems with it..... yet. :)

Comment

Except ya'd probably get a better o/c out of it. :D

Comment

I agree w/ the dont run it off 250W. 300W is sufficient 350W if you have a GeForce 3 or GeForce 4. Generic PSU's will do the job fine, brand name PSU's are probably a little more efficient but there really isnt a great difference

Comment

I wouldn't say that as I've seen plenty of generic "so called" 300w PSU's that didn't perform. In fact they would have to be the most changed thing I swap out when trouble shootin' someone's PC. Generic cases and their generic PSU's. :(

Comment

"Clean power" and enough of it avoids many problems. Skimp on something else.

Comment

In fact if you want a good stable rig don't skimp on anything. ;)

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I'm going with the Antec 350w. i ordered the video card and Ram(Crucial 256MB) today and will be ordering the processor and power supply tomorrow. Should have all the parts in by Thursday and will have finally finished building my new system. Only part I'm worried about is installing the HSF on the processor. I've change out parts in computers a lot but have never installed a processor. So, knowing nothing about it, I'm a little scared of not putting it together right and it overheating and dying.

Comment

To get the official "How to Install a Heatsink" document from AMD, click here to download a zipped .pdf file. Ya'll need Acrobat reader to view this. ;)

Comment

Well i bought my case for $47au and its a large midi tower (4x5.25 + 6x3.5 + 3fan) and it had a 300W MDM powersupply in it, and it powers a 7200RPM HD, HD fan, front intake fan, 2 rear exhaust fans, volcano 7fan, as well as a DVD-Rom drive and a CD-Burner drive + a justcooler TT-900. a network card, TNT2 and SB live, runs 24/7 for the last 4 months without a single problem. Ive never had any problems with generic PSU's and i dont really see the point in expensive ones, because they are pretty much all made by the same people, and have the same circuitry inside, the only difference in some cases (not most) is quality control

Comment

The thing is with PC's that I build for ppl is I don't want to see them back with that PC because some slighter cheaper part died or because of it, won't run stablely.
                            Plus the ppl who bring PC's to me with problems, in probably 33.3% of the cases, a cheap "Yum Cha" PSU is to blame when someone adds something to the PC after it was bought that takes extra demand on it.
                            (*no I said that I wasn't going to make a comment on "Name" brand PC's*).
                            A few dollars extra on a better quality PSU is worth it IMHO. The PC's that I do see back are from owners who really want to see how much more can be safetly get out of them. : peace2:

Comment

Working...
                            X