Need help resolving IRQ conflict.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help resolving IRQ conflict.

I've been trying to 'fix' the IRQ assignment of my sound and video cards. They are both using IRQ 11. I have an Asus A7V333 mb, AMD XP 1900+, 1GB of PC2100 DDRram, GeForce3 Ti 500, and Audigy Xgamer sound card. I tried setting the IRQ in BIOS- set PCI slot 2 (sound card) to IRQ 7, and when I booted I found that my video card had 'migrated' over to IRQ 7 also! I have nowhere in BIOS to set the IRQ for the AGP slot. BTW, I also set the PnP OS to No. When I set the IRQ in BIOS to AUTO, it assigns both my sound and video card to IRQ 11.

Any ideas???

Ok what operating system are you using and have you tried the sound card in PCI 3 ? :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

OS is Win98SE. (It's been stable enough and I didn't want to send any more money to BillG when I built my new system.) I haven't tried changing slots yet. I'm trying to keep some 'space' between the cards for better air flow/cooling.

Comment

Ok though soundcards for some reason prefer to use PCI 3 (I think that most boards have a priority on this one) but if it's stable enough then maybe it's nothing to worry about. ;)

Comment

Hey I just noticed that ya have 1GB of memory there which is not good for any Win9x os and I'm surprised that the os doesn't lose itself in all that. :eek:
          Normally 512MB is the point of no os load but 256MB is the recommended amount. You'd be better off changing the os to WinXP to utilise all that memory. ;)

Comment

I have to agree, a PC with that much potential, and hampered by 98se. Win XP pro is down to 170 at best buy, and Xp Home is down to 99.

Comment

IRQ 7 shouldn't work anyways - it's the printer port IRQ. The only real available IRQ's are 5, 10 and 11.

Comment

Ok, so I switched the sound card over to slot 3, but now the cd cannot install the card "properly". I've tried three times, I've checked to see that the card is seated properly in the slot (I don't really think that is the problem since my BIOS and windows both recognized that there's a sound card there). Oh, and when windows 'detects new hardware' it is also detecting a "PCI Input Controller" and wants a driver for that??? What is that all about??

Any ideas anyone??? thanks

Comment

oh, and btw, I don't have a printer. My wife and I have our own little home network (server, 2 clients) and I print off the network printer:)

Comment

Did you uninstall the card and it's software before changing it's position? :?:

Comment

to wiggo - well, uh, no... but I did so afterwards, and then tried to reinstall.

Comment

That's probably it then as it's still tryin' to find it in the other slot, but do upgrade your os to XP or get rid off 768MB's of memory as that is most likely causing problems as well. You could try this to, http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q253912 , but a clean XP installation would be best. : peace2:

Comment

if u boot into safe mode, the "ghost device(s)" should appear in your device list (my computer properties).

from there you can remove offending hardware and then when you reboot into windows, it should detect normally..

does putting the card in slot 3 give it a separate IRQ?

Comment

Skullshot, yeas putting the sound card in slot 3 gives it IRQ 7, and the video card 'stayed' at IRQ 11. I'll try the safe mode thing.

Btw, my 1gb of memory is giving me no problems. Win 98 recognizes it and the other day I was doing a bunch of 'stuff' and was actually using over 700mb of memory. Once I get linux installed, I'm only going to use windows for gaming anyway.

Comment

I am having the same problem; modem, video card, and sound card all on IRQ 11. I am also using windows 98. I need to physically move the sound card and modem to different PCI slots? How can I tell which one goes where. The layout in my computer looks as follows:

AGP [ Video Card Slot ]

PCI [ Currently Modem ]

PCI [ Currently Sound Card ]

PCI [ Empty ]

PCI [ Empty ]

PCI [ Empty ]

PCI [ Empty ]

I have been looking at alot of web pages on how to fix my current conflict and some have said that I need to go into BIOS and change IRQ settings etc etc. Any specific help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X