which is worse? Antec vs. stock fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which is worse? Antec vs. stock fans

I knew I should have gone with a Volcano 6, but I thought I'd be able to find a decent cpu cooler and set of case fans locally. I was becoming impatient and impulsive after waiting nearly a month for all my parts to come. So I went to Staples and bought the only cpu cooler and fans available: an Antec Jet Cool cpu cooler and two 80mm case fans.

My questions are three-fold: 1) I'm running and Athlon XP 2100+ processor on my new system, and I know the Antec cooler is not that great. Which is worse, the Antec cooler or the stock Athlon one (that I've already heard a few horror stories about)?

2) My case fans have 3 pin connectors and my case manuel says I should be using 4-pin connectors. What's the difference (besides the number of pins)? Could I get an adapter and make them work anyway or am I just wasting my time?

3) I'm guessing I totally screwed up on my cooling system, but is it at all stable? I don't plan to overclock anytime soon, but I do have some parts that might run a bit warm. . .

Well...the three pin connector uses the motherboard suppiled power since it gets directly connected to the motherboard. I have been adviced to stay away from too many fans connected to the motherboard. You could get adapter and that will work, some fans come with that already.
    The Antec cooler is prolly better...i am pretty sure, but if you want some good cooling try to get a copper HS. The Volcano 7+ comes into mine.
    - Damien

Comment

1- Toss up in my opinion, but I don't recall the JetCool being rated for a processor as fast as yours. At least the retail one is tested for the 2100+ system that you're running. take some temperatures after doing some of your normal computing/gaming programs. Then reinstall the original retail one and do the same tests. Use the one that keeps the temperatures the lowest.

2- I highly recommend you get the convertors. They are readily available at several stores and can be found at any decent online store that deals extensively in cooling. As Flaco mentioned, if you run them all from the motherboard, you run the risk of drawing too much power and burning up some of the fan headers... or the whole board. :(

3- The Antec case fans should do well enough for the case, but you really need to see about getting a better HSF for the processor. Impatient or not, if you're going to spend that kind of money on a top of the line processor, then it makes perfect sense to purchase a good cooler. There are many out there to choose from. Just check out the reviews and go from there. :)
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

You tell it well Darth...:) ...an extra 30 to 40 bucks on a badass HSF is well woth it for you 200 bucks you spent on the 2100 (USD).
        - Damien

Comment

I recommend not using any motherboard fan header at all, except for fan monitoring purposes, as the current drawn by any fan thru these could effect how will your rig will overclock and in some case how stable it will be when not. A Volcano7+ would be a much better HSF as well. ;)
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Ok, back to the drawing board... Thanks for the advice:)

Comment

lol the volcano 7+ sure seems popular around here:D

Comment

Working...
              X