Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 and SP3 = MY SYSTEM HOSED

HELP!

Yeah, I did the stupid, I tried to install SP3 on my installation of Win2k. I also did the stupid of not checking that "archive files" box in case in case I wanted to uninstall. Well, I tried running it once, and it quit in the middle with some random error. Not good. I tried to install again, this time it worked fine, then rebooted. After the reboot, I get an error telling me that it cant load my virus scanner, and I need to reinstall. I attempt to open the "My Computer" and my machine attempts to run the Windows Installer. Well, somehow my Windows Installer is broken. I cant install or uninstall anything. I have a TON of error messages in my system log, and I have no idea how to just get this working so I can install my software again?

(yes, me = moron for not saving the uninstall files....)

Anyone Have any ideas? :cry:

Did you have anything planned for the next couple of hours as you reinstall the OS?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

err, install XP for something different to look at

Comment

Thanks for the input fellas...but anything a little more constructive? :scream:

Comment

I don't think you understand...

When you install a Service Pack, it changes files at the core of the OS. We're talking modifying/replacing some of the major .dll files and making modifications to the shell itself. When you hose an installation at this level, odds are slim to none that you'll be able to recover from it... period.

Sorry to sound pessimistic about the whole thing, but it would be easiest to backup what you can and then format the drive and start over again.
          My Toys

Comment

Yeah, I know it does that funky core modifiying stuff. I was just hoping that there was some way I could just monkey with the Microsoft Installer thing.

However, Im in the middle of burning my docs and whatnot.... Im just glad for multiple partitions...

~Bugman

:thumbs do

Comment

eh, i forgot but does 2k have system restore??

Comment

Isn't that just in ME and XP?
                My Toys

Comment

yup system restore is only in ME & XP..

Comment

oh, thats gonna hurt

Comment

Yeah, it hurt. Thats for sure. But, Im back and running XP Pro. I hope this works out. To help speed things along I just ordered a Raedon 8500, so this should help make this OS a little more manageable....

~Bugman

Comment

Working...
                      X