Can't use 512 PC2700 memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't use 512 PC2700 memory

I'm running a MSI KT3 Ultra ARU MB with Muskin 256 PC2700 memory. I have tried installing 3 different 512 PC2700 modules (two Generic and one Muskin) and none of them will allow the computer to boot, either by themselves or with the original 256 module. I have a 300W Antec power supply and running two Maxtor 80 Gig ATA133 7200 drives in a RAID 1 configuration. If I disable the RAID system, the computer will boot to the floppy or CD drive and display the correct amount of memory. When the RAID system is enabled, the computer will no even boot to the first DOS screen. I have upgraded all the drivers from the MSI web site. The computer runs normally with only the 256 PC2700 module. Any ideas?

What operating system are you using? Also what else is being run off you power supply? :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

My operating system is Windows XP Pro. Also running on my system is an ATI 7500 graphics card, IEEE1394 Firewire, Sound Blaster LIve, USB mouse and Logitec Wingman Force, 144M Floppy,CDR, DVD, CDRW and external US Robotics Courier modem. I disconnected the CDR, DVD and CDRW, thinking there my be a power shortage and tried the 512M modules but it still did not boot.

Comment

When you have installed these larger modules have you considered clearing the CMOS so that the BIOS does a fresh search for the memory instead of relying on the old memory value or change the BIOS back to "safe defaults"? :?:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks again for your reply,
          Yes I have tried clearing the CMOS, it looses the RAID bootup sequence so it boots to the default drive (floppy/CD). When I change Setup ot include RAID, the computer will not activate the RAID drives.
          I have ordered a new 500W power supply, possibly the Antec power supply is not up to specs or I am pulling more than it can supply.
          If that doesn't fix the problem, I'm back to the drawing board!
          Tnx Again, :?:

Comment

Working...
          X