How many watts: power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many watts: power supply

Is there a way to calculate or estimate the number of watts the power supply should be? I am building a custom system with the basics, nothing fancy.

I'm pretty sure this one from newegg.com would be fine:

Enlight ATX 250W P4 Power Supply EN-8251934A1 - RETAIL Intel and AMD recommended (v2.03) Dimensions: 6"W x 3.5" H 5.5" D Model#: EN-8251934A1

Thanks in advance.

Every component draws power from the PSU. If you check out white papers for each item that you plan on installing, then you should be able to get an estimated power draw.

That said, the Pentium 4 processors had an early requirement for an additional power lead to the motherboard to help feed the hungry components. That by itself indicates that you may very well want to choose a more capable PSU for your system.

As a general rule, I normally suggest 350w as a minimum for building a new system. Though you may not need all that power right now, it will be a faithful performer and also give you room to grow. After all, once you start playing it is likely that you'll start looking at newer boards, more hard drives, CD burners, DVD burners... can you see where the need for additional power can come from?

You can't get too much power. It's always better to err on the high side instead of the low side. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Well, 250 Watt is find for a P4 as long as it is P4 approved, and you aren't going to have more than 6 hard drives.

But from looking at your sig, you want an Lian type case with a window... I think I have seen something you will love... and it comes with a PSU.

This case comes with a window, top vent, clear side panel fan, BLUE NEON TUBE, 350 Watt PSU, front USB and headphone attachments, a place for a gaint 120mm fan in front, can hold 4 CD-Rom's, 2 Floppies, and 5 HD's !

ALL FOR UNDER 100$ shipped !!! :eek: :eek: (looks alot better than any Lian, if you ask me -- AND your figerprints don't constantly stay visible like when you touch a Lian !)

http://www.directron.com/3051ls3a.html

OR

http://www.directron.com/3051lb3a.html

And be sure to click the various pictures they have of the case.

Down sides:
      *No easy access door handle (not a big deal)
      *Not an Enermax power supply, but I'm sure it is good enough.
      *No Drive Rails (not a big deal-who rearranges their drives daily anyways?)

I have looked at ALOT of cases in the past few weeks ( I estimate 300+ cases ) and I definatly considered this one, but I needed a case that qualifies as an 'indestructable tank'. Plus i have other ideas for the sides.

Comment

Working...
      X