X58A-UD7 & 12GB ram problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X58A-UD7 & 12GB ram problem

Hi all.,i need help here.,regarding one of my customer.,the mainboard sometimes cannot detect 12GB ram.,example is when i used it for full day.,the next day when i turn it on the system cannot fully utilize 12GB.,it just detect 8-10GB only..the system spec as follows..

Core i7 975
    X58A-UD7
    Corsair XMS3 6x2GB DDR3 1600 CL9
    WD 1TB Black
    Gigabyte GTX260+
    Xigmatek 500W PSU

Please all.,i really need ur help.,the customer already leave his system at my place almost 1 wekk already..
    Pero-Sesor: Core i7 860 2.83Ghz
    Curling-Sis-Term: Custom Liquid Cooling
    Mother-Bot: Gigabyte P55-UD4P
    Rrrr-Am: 2x2GB Team Xtreem DDR3 2000
    Hard-This: Western Digital Raptor
    Gera-Pig-Cut: Sapphire 4870 512MB DDR5
    Pee-Ass-You: Corsair HX620w Modular
    Cass-Sing: Lian LI PC-A17 Silver

Re: X58A-UD7 & 12GB ram problem

Hi bro,
    first be sure that contact of RAM are clean.
    Which BIOS are installed?
    Where board is bought?(LowYat?)

Comment

@stasio
      yeah bro.,the mainboard bought from Pc Zone..hehe..last time the customer use P6T.,but the asus have same problem.,now test with X58A-UD7.,also got same problem.,i dunno what to do la bro.,the customer is foreigner..

Comment

Very soon will be beta BIOS update,maybe will resolve this problem.

Comment

can u help me ka bro.,already PM lsdmeasap also no reply.,really need help here & rite now.,the customer start go get angry already..run memtest to all ram module no problem..do i need to change any setting ka bro..

Comment

As my first post,check if the memory contact is clean,replace positions in the slots.
            BIOS F2 ?
            Try to check one set separate(3x2GB),then another separate.
            In BIOS Load Optimized Defaults.
            Lsdmeasap will answer you for sure,as I am not well with X58 boards.

Comment

ok bro.,i understand.,already clean the memory contact..the mainboard bios is F2.,regarding the ram.,already change a new sets of ram bro..

Comment

It is not the memory, or the BIOS. I replied to your PM.

This is caused by incorrect ram voltage and QPI/Vtt relationships, or not enough IOH, QPI/Vtt, or ram voltages.

Bent CPU Socket pipns also cause this, but again it is not the BIOS, memory, or board.

Of course new BIOS may help these settings all work together a bit easier, but it is not the BIOS itself to blame only incorrect user settings. Of course if you are using Auto that would kinda blame the BIOS but that still is wrong as all users should set their own settings. Auto is meant for you to be able to start the board so you can make changes, it should not be used to run a system on.

Comment

@lsdmeasap
                  tq bro for ur advice.,i wanna ur help.can u provide some setting that could work..

Comment

Yes, I sure can. Do keep in mind though this model is so new so the BIOSes wont be fully stable for a while still. So you may need to update the BIOS once a month or so for a few months until they get the kinks worked out.

I sent a more detailed reply to you on this via PM.

Comment

Hm, I have a somewhat similar issue with my GA-EX58-UD5....

I have 12GB of G.Skill 2000MHz CL9 RAM, rated for 1.65v.
                      As the board will only do 1.64v or 1.66v I have tried both, but it will only see 4GB at 2000 MHz.
                      At 1800MHz CL8 it will see it all, but to get this I have to reduce my BCLK to 180.
                      At 1600MHz CL7 it will see 8GB.
                      At 1600MHz CL8 it will see it all, this is what I am currently running at (200MHz bclk)

I have the board and mosfets on an EK full cover waterblock on its own loop with a 240mm Swiftech Rad and an MCP655 pump, and the CPU on an Apogee XT powered by a Laing DDC3.25 with an EK top with a Thermochill pa120.4, my point being that cooling capacity isn't an issue if I need to crank voltages up...

What voltages should I increase to improve this? I'd love to see 2000MHz on the Ram!

Comment

You need to find the right settings is all, that is if you do not have bent CPU Socket pins.

For 12GB you should use 1.66-1.7V anyway, no need to worry about using 1.65

You will need to tinker with IOH, QPI/Vtt, QPI PLL and uncore settings. I don't think you will have a very easy time running 12GB at 2000Mhz, the kits are rated to that by themselves. You may be able to do it, but it may take some crazy voltages to do so.

1800-1900 may be much easier, and of course 1600 would be a breeze.

Let me have your full current settings, template link is in m signature, and I can advise you further on things. Let me know what your optimal choice of Bclk and ram speed would be, under 2000Mhz for now

Comment

Yeah, until reading this thread I just figured it wasn't happening with 12GB.

I'm at work right now so I can't tell you the exact settings off the top of my head, but last night I got stable at:

205bclk, x20 + turbo for 4300MHz
                          1640MHz Ram
                          8-8-8-20-2 timings
                          1.55v vCore
                          1.615v QPI/VTT
                          1.300v IOH

I don't seem to be able to push the bclk higher with stability, even if I drop the multi down to x19 and turn off turbo.

The issue of "bent CPU pins" interests me, it is a brand new mobo but after some of the controversies of Core i5's burning out their socket pins I did have it out and look at the pads, and there are pins that do not make central contact with the pads, and some pads where the mark from the pin seems almost off the pad.... This I guess would be a motherboard fault?

I know these voltages are high but I need this CPU only to last until core i9, I don't care if it dies then. If it dies before I'll just live with my laptop for a couple of months ;)
                          Last edited by nemeth782; 11-29-2009, 06:50 AM.

Comment

You can use 12GB for sure, just may take a little work. And of course you may not be able to run them at full speed of 2000Mhz either.

You may have better luck with a lower Bclk, in getting the ram faster I mean. But 12GB at 1650 is good really, but if you want faster I can help you try.

Almost off the pad, or all the way off? I have not seen similar issues with X58 at all, maybe because they are not there, or there is so many pins it does not matter so much? Anyway, no real way to tell without having a unused CPU and installing it once, then looking. As you will have multiple "Marks" on the pads do to multiple installs. So no real way to say where the pins are actually setting.

I just looked on a 920 CPU I have, no "off" marks on mine. So maybe the ones you are seeing are coming from just sitting it in there, before it is actually closed and pushed down? I can post pics if you want to see mine to compare, let me know

Comment

Slipkorn_78,
                              can you confirm that BIOS F2b,F2 and F3a have issue with i7-965/975.
                              According to ZoLKoRn's PM to me,the multiplier limit is at 16x.

Btw,EX58-UD5 with 12GB of RAM-stable:
                              XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Gigabyte EX58-UD5/Extreme Discussion Thread
                              Last edited by stasio; 12-03-2009, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X