artic silver 3 + intel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• artic silver 3 + intel

I'm full of questions today! I'll be installing my Intel Chip today onto my mother board. I bought some arctic silver 3 and have a question on the install. I have a p4 with the stock fan and heat sink. Is there something I need to scrape off the heat sink before i put on the arctic silver? I'm not sure if Intel puts some type of heat spreader on there heat sinks or not? If so, what's the best way to remove this stuff? Also is there a certain purity of rubbing alcohol I should use when prepping for the arctic silver?

If it HSF has a TIM there then scrap it off carefully using a razor blade (I can't say if it does or not as I only build AMD PC's) but as to a grade of rubbing alcohol, I didn't know that there was grades. Acetone nail polish remover will do that job too. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Wiggo,

The reason I said grades, is because this is off of artic silvers web page:

ONLY Arctic Silver thermal compound should be between the processor core and the heatsink. Remove any thermal pads or other interface material from the heatsink before applying the Arctic Silver._ Thermal pads can be scraped off with a plastic tool that will not scratch the bottom then the remnants can be removed with a xylene based cleaner, (Goof Off and some carburetor cleaners) acetone, mineral spirits, or 99% pure isopropyl alcohol._

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

Comment

To tell ya the honest truth, I just steal some of the missus' acetone based nail polish remover. But ya gote to be care with the stuff.
        Most US sites that refer to Isopropyl alcohol and "rubbing alcohol" as the same thing.
        This is what Isopropyl alcohol means here, but hey I just though that it was just like other different names you guys had for things. : peace2:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
        X