overclock thunderbird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overclock thunderbird

ok, my processor is locked I never unlocked it. Would it really matter if I did or didn't? Anyway how much more voltage do I need to add to my processor? I gave it 1.85 and got the processor to 1.53GHz and it crashed after playing a few death matches in q3. In the system information is says the highest internal core clock is 1.47GHz even though my processor is 1.4. Does this mean that my max stable speed is 1.47? I can hit that speed without touching voltage but what's the point in overclocking 70Mhz?

Some component is holding your FSB back , if your video card is OC'ed put it back to default same with RAM , take out cards you don't neeed like if you have broadband ditch your modem. Shut off integrated components if possible (NIC, Sound, Modem, Video...) , disable BIOS Shadowing/Caching , unlock your tbird and use the multiplier for sure.

My 1000MHz Tbird was able to get 1400MHz , 40% is damn good with air cooling , you gotta be able to surpass 70MHz ...

Comment

There are a lot of things that could be holding you back.

- Check your memory timings. If they are set too aggressively, then it may not like it when you run the speed too high.

- If you are using an older chipset like the VIA KT133, then this could be part of the problem as well. These chipsets were notorious for not allowing very much speed gains when boosting the FSB.

- As GiMP stated, a component could be the holdup. Some peripherals don't like it when you boost the FSB very much. The most notable is usually the NIC and/or sound card. These will normally be the first to balk at faster speeds.

- If you do happen to have a newer chipset (VIA KT266 or newer), then make sure that you change the master FSB jumper to the 133MHz setting. The lower setting usually won't allow much tweaking. The higher one can many times open up a whole new world for you.

It just takes some patience and some experimentation. Check things out on the board and in the BIOS and you'll likely find out what the holdup is. And, of course, you may just have a dud processor for overclocking. Not all chips are created equally.

Good luck! :)
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Well my board (8kha+) has the kt266a I'm already running my bus on 133 cause that's the processor that I bought. The only expansion cards that I do have in my system are the necessary ones. I have two network cards a usb card a video card and a sound card. No interated onboard crap anythying except for the necessary ports are on the board. I prefere not over clock via the bus becuase I've heard of some stories my friend for example killed his HD cause he overlocked his bus to high.

Comment

How high though?...i mean if it was a 160FSB or some crazy stuff like that...then yea something might get corrupted. A suggestion to you would be to take out you NIC and up your FSB and see what happens...if is still giving you trouble...take our the sound card and put in your NIC try stuff like that. It takes a while but you'll know whats going on. Then O/C and run a 3DMark and see whatcha get. Process of Elimination.
          - Damien

Comment

Check your memory timings within the BIOS. You have the same board as I do and can run the FSB at 150+ with ease. If the memory timimgs are set to CAS 2 and the Command Rate is set to 1T, then you might try backing these off a bit. If they aren't set to performance settings, then it could be the NIC cards. If you pull the NICs out and you still can't get the FSB any higher, then it is likely to be the highest that your current processor can go.
            My Toys

Comment

If you really want to get the max overclock, you will need the last thing Darth mentioned - patience. combinations of components may need to be explored to find if something there is holding you back. Just for reference, I was able to get my 1400 T-Bird to do 1663 stable. Each chip is different, but if you are willing to do the legwork you should be able to do significantly better than 70 MHz.

Good Luck
              Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

well I"m not touching the bus so I don't know why expansion cards should be removed. I only wanna OC through the multiplyers

Comment

Well if ya want to use the muliplier then ya goin' to have to unlock that sucker. ;)
                  <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

heh what draw scribble scrabble lines all over the L1 bridges?

Comment

That's all it takes for the T-Birds.
                      My Toys

Comment

This seriously works though? What kind of pencil btw number 2? Not that I've ever seen anything other then a number 2.

Comment

Does that number have an H or B in front of it? But either way it should work so go ahead and try it as an eraser will fix a botched job. Just don't connect across the bridges just join the cuts in them. ;)

Comment

basically you mean before= . . after=._. ??

Comment

Yeah usually pencils are graded "H" (for hard) 8 to "HB" (in the middle) to "B" (for black or soft) 8. HB is the usual grade pencil, H2 is a slightly harder lead giving a lighter line and B2 is softer giving a blacker line. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X