Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2drives 1 sata 1 ssd xp and win7

hi.
    I cant get IL21946 game to run in perfect mode(eye candy open gl without weird stuttering graphic effect) in win7 64bit.

so i have win xp installed on a sata drive and it runs perfectly.

I just bought an intel mx25 ssd which I want to install win7 64bit on.

In the bios the sata setting is ide.I intend to go into the bios to change boot order whn i want to use xp but am i correct in thinking i need to have achi set in the bios for the trim to work on the ssd,?
    if i wasnt bothered about the trim will the ssd work ok with the ide bios setting?
    thankyou very much

Re: 2drives 1 sata 1 ssd xp and win7

TRIM does not require AHCI as far as I know, but you could be right if you have read that somewhere.

Yes, if you do not care about trim and want to use GC every now and again then yes, you can leave that on IDE if you want

Comment

thanks LSD,just had a thought, would the sata drive with xp on work if bios is set as achi?
      thanks

Comment

For XP no, not easily. There is ways to edit files and the registry though to enable AHCI after you install, let me know if you need a guide to do that.

Comment

The G2 X25-M will only support TRIM when Intel release the revised FW. The original TRIM FW was withdrawn as it was killing drives.

To use TRIM one can have the drive in IDE or AHCI mode but you MUST use the default drivers that come with Win 7, the Microsoft ones. No other driver will pass TRIM. For XP, you'll need to do some tweaking. Boot into XP using IDE mode, then follow this guide: HOW TO switch from IDE to AHCI mode without having to reinstall Win XP (GUIDE)

There is no TRIM support in XP but you will be able to use the Intel manual TRIM tool that comes as part of the SSD Toolkit.

You will find that with the current latest X25 FW, TRIM isn't really needed. Write speed, regardless of TRIM is maintained at ~75MB/s regarless of clean or dirty flash blocks. Random 4K writes for example only drops from 36MB/s to 35MB/s which will be 100% unnoticable. By all means use TRIM with the drive when a safe FW is available, but it won't give you much more than you already have.

The only real boost in performance would be if you happened to have bought the 160GB version. When the stable TRIM FW is released Intel will also be increasing the write speed of the 160GB G2 from a rated 70MB/s to 100MB/s. This is only possible because there are twice the number of flash chips in the drive than in the 80GB one. This means that the 160GB drive benefits more from parallel access to flash IC's.
          Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
          Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
          Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
          TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
          2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
          2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
          Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
          Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
          WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
          Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
          Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
          3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
          Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Working...
          X