Things heating up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things heating up

I thought it would happen and it has. Summer has arrived and the old CPU temp has hit the roof and got a couple of lockups. Had to back off the Tbird from 1466 to its stock 1200....the Globalwin FOP32 couldn't handle it with the room at 30C.

#2son's Tb1333 @ 1533 with the Swiftech MC462A stays around 43C ....hmmmm....so I thought I'd try another Swiftech for myself....this time I ordered the new copper based MCXC370 which supposedly performs within a degree or so of its bigger brother but without having to remove the mobo to install it......trouble is it cost $AU147 to get sent over from the States and will probably be caught up in the Christmas mail mayhem.

Will post the outcome of some heat tests when it turns up.

Let us know how it goes when ya get it Oldbugger as it's receivin' some pretty good reviews in the northern hemishere but here downunder in summer will be the test. ;)
    <center></center>

Comment

I really liked one of the reviews at T-Break because they tested in the United Arab Emirates, with a 42 degree room temperature. That really sorts out the men from the boys ;)
      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Well the MCXC370 turned up.....still can't get over the weight (although about half the MX462).

Installed it easily...the new 3 prong clips are a dream....plugged it in (4 plug molex only) but had no worries about the lack of a tachometer lead....the noise tells you its running. Anyway a good motherboard monitor with the heat options set will avoid any damage to the processor if, in the highly unlikely event the fan fails..AND...you don't notice the lack of noise.

room temp at 30C
        TB1200 at default 1.75v
        old FOP32 temp under load maxed at 49C
        Swiftech under load maxed out at 39.6C

Bloody good result....now to clock the Tbird back up

at 1469 at 1.85v the max temp reached was 46.4C under extreme load (30 minutes of Stability tester in CPU heating mode - anything else like endless loops of SiSofts burn in only started to dropped the temp from the 46C)...even started to load Windows at 1537.......

Seeing it is still only an air based cooler....I'm pretty impressed.

Comment

Sounds like ya done ok there. :thumb:

Comment

Glad to see that you're back in the drivers seat Oldbugger. :D
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

longtime-no-see old bugger, how ya been??
              TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Goodwork oldbugger!

Comment

Thanx fellas
                  Been a bit quiet ...had a few health probs (the old ticker's playing up again).

Also there's not a lot of incentive to rush out and get some new gear yet....no REAL performance leap in doing so....

By the way Toms has a good comparison on the new Northwood 2.2A vs the Athlon XP and Overclockers.com has an interesting article on the multitude of comparison reviews and a sanity check. It looks like things will get a bit more interesting when AMD release the Thoroughbred.

Comment

Thoroughbred will be good but Barton which follows at the end of the year or early next with SOI technology will be the interesting one. ;)
                    <center> </center>

Comment

Working...
                    X