Expensive hdd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expensive hdd

I was just looking at some hdd and I didnt even know that there were 10000 RPM hard drives out there. Anyway, I found an extremly expensive hdd out there for a whoping $1,479.97(US)!!
    This is a Seagate 181.6 GB hdd 68 Pin Ultra160 10000 RPM hdd. I must say that this is about what a pretty good store bought computer costs, and for that much money you could build yourself a monster of a comp. I was just curious and started wondering does anyone happen to have this hdd? Also, I'm sure some 1 has a 10000 RPM hdd, I would like to know how much you payed for it so I can just compare some things. Thnx all. :shoot3: :shoot2:

Was that SCSI HDD? Prolly was huh?
    - Damien

Comment

Originally posted by Flaco
      Was that SCSI HDD? Prolly was huh?
      68 pin Ultra 160 = SCSI

Concerning that drive... it was made for corporate use. Take about eight of them and run them in a RAID5 configuration and you have the makings of decent server setup that handles large database files and such.

If you're looking at SCSI drives, though, take a look at some of the other Seagate models around. They go as high as 15k RPM in some instances, and again are made for corporate use. For the enthusiast (even the hardcore gamer), it wouldn't really be of much benefit.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

What Darth said. Some of those faster drives (IDE or SCSI) are also used a fair bit in video editing, as they have faster read / write capabilities, which is handy when recording / rendering video.

Comment

Thanks Darth...:)
          - Damien

Comment

Good call Beefy. I hadn't considered DV editing into the mix. That added speed would work wonders with a Firewire DV setup. :)

np Flaco. ;)
            My Toys

Comment

They are sometimes called A/V drives..

*continues to spout useless information*

Comment

that's not a very good price for theat drive - I can get it for that much in cdn$$'s - although I'm not sure of the exact model

I bought 4x73GB Seagate SCSI U160 68pin drives in the spring for a dual Athlon server I was putting together - I think I paid in the mid-$500cdn/ea

Comment

hey beefy when is the event of the year film going to be done

Comment

sometime this year.. obviously. :)

Comment

Make sure to post the link into a new thread in the BG then please. That original one has become more bloated than the Microsoft operating systems. :p
                      My Toys

Comment

good call there Darth :laugh: :laugh:
                        TT Original

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
                          Make sure to post the link into a new thread in the BG then please. That original one has become more bloated than the Microsoft operating systems. :p
                          You might want to check it again.. :D

Comment

Ok buster, what did ya do with it?
                            :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Comment

*looks skyward innocently*

Comment

Working...
                              X