• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• incomplete avi files = 5 minute spin of my Hard drive

My first post on this board, and of course it's a question :wave:

Using WinXP Pro
    40Gig WD 5400 HDD

If I highlight any incomplete avi/mpg etc... files, it will spin my HDD for the next 5-10 minutes (apparently trying to preview the file). This does not happen with any other types of files and only happens with incomplete ones.

I've shut off that pesky sidebar, with details and all that (more fluff please MS):D

I've also done extensive tweaking to XP, from tweakXp.com etc...
    Nothing I try seems to work.

Any one have any ideas?

wouldnt that be annoying, just when you get to a good pr0n movie too :P
    SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
    Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

I would suspect your system is trying to find the correct codec, but that is an awfully long time to look for one
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

umm, you probably have that preview bar on, turn it off, or don't show the bar at all, its trying to find the end of the movie, although it'll never get there...so it gives up

Comment

kill the indexing service, it is trying to gather info about the file and can't becuase its incomplete, ask Woody about that one

Comment

I already turned off that details section there.

I have already set indexing service as manual, and it is not started.

Is that what you meant Skull?

Comment

try installing Divx

as this will have the majority of the codecs that u need
              http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

I have all the codecs

Comment

I gave up on this one, I'll just use DOS to move avi files around from now on...

Comment

I had that problem too. I got bored of waiting for XMen from Kazaa to download so i copied it and renamed it but it wouldn't load and I couldn't delete it because it would be sooo slow. I gave up and just nicked it from DOS like you were gunna do? Well, my Indexing Service is disabled... idunno.

I'm on FAT32 though, may be a problem?

Good luck in your search, your not the only one out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X