No announcement yet.

Need help with Abit Siluro GF4 Ti 4200!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Abit Siluro GF4 Ti 4200!!

This has never happened to me on a video card before, but I think it may be that the Ti4200s have not been out long that I have this problem. The problem I am having is that when I reformat my harddrive and load in windows 98 or me my abit suiluro GF4 4200 works fine. It will load win 98 or me from a formatted drive with NO problems......BUT when I try to either UPGRADE to windows xp professiona(From win 98 or me) or do a clean install from the i386 folder the screen goes blank! The screen looks like the power is shut off to the monitor! (I have a retail version of windows xp professional UPGRADE, by the way) I can't figure this out and even the techs at microsoft were scratching their heads! They said In may need to either upgrade the bios on my motherboard (UPGRADE not FLASH) or my video card. As it seems the two may not get along that well....I really don't know what to do about this. I have xp back on my system again, but the only way I could think of doing it was to go get a cheap video card and put it in and THEN when xp was FULLY LOADED I can replace that card with my 4200!! It worked but I don't really want to have to jerk my video card out whenever I need to reformat my drive! My system specs are: I have a Soyo SY K7VTA Pro motherboard with an amd athlon xp 2000 processor and 360 mb of SDRAM I also have a soundblaster live (digital) 5.1 and a motorola 56 k modem (not used because I have a cable modem- just keep it inside my case if the need arises to use it) I have a plexwriter 40/12/40a, zip 100 internal drive and a acer 56x cd drive and a 3.5 floppy. I use a 300 watt power supplyas well as a WD 40 gig 7200rpm hard drive. That is about it for my specs. I am running windows xp professional at the moment. I was hoping that if I went to Abit Siluro's site, that they might have some bios upgrades and they do.....but here is another problem.....I can't seem to download them because they are on an ftp site! Anyone know the easiest program to use to download files from ftp sites.(Freeware hopefully) I need a program that WORKS WITH WIN XP PRO! If anyone else has had this problem with either abit siluro or another gf4200, please post. Also, if anyone knows what I may try to get this problem to go away, let me know. I do format my system when it gets sluggish and would really like an answer to this, thanks.
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Does your version of XP have the compatibiliy test on it and if so does it report any problems?
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Well I know this for sure, that the drivers ARE NOT digitally signed! They say in the install manual that when the screen comes up saying the drivers are not digitally signed just click on countinue anyway...I guess a lot of companies don't want to pay the fee microsoft charges them to get their drivers signed. As far as a compatability test, how do I check my card? I am not sure how to do this in xp pro. Can you give me the steps???
      Here are my specs:
      System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Comment

It comes up as an option when you put the XP CD in. :?:
        Maybe being an upgrade version you don't have it. :(

Comment

I found it! It said that windows xp did not find any problems with my hardware at this time! So apparently, it is only does it if you have windows xp already loaded, the problem I have is loading xp from a formatted drive, and I am positive it is the video card, because NO OTHER programs OR drivers are loaded when I do a clean install like that, I may have to e-mail abit siluro and tell them about this problem, just hope it doesn't get lost in the email! They said on their site that they could not reply to every email that was sent to them....but this would seem to be an important problem! Guess I will see............
          Here are my specs:

Comment

Have you installed the video drivers in 98/ME before the upgrade? :?:

Comment

Originally posted by webe3
              I don't really want to have to jerk my video card out whenever I need to reformat my drive!

I am curious. Why do you constantly need to reformat your hard drive? With this system I am running I've last propably reformatted about year and a half ago. And have since upgraded to Win XP Pro. I use Norton Utilities 2002 and really have no need to reformmatting. And yes I constantly install and uninstall games, drivers and utilities and so on.
              Please do not take this as a flame or anything. I am just curious what excatly you do with your pc.

Cheers!

Andy

Ps. Ever considered imaging?

Ps2. Now that I think of it ... could this be something as simple as Win XP configuring your Irq's in a bit wrong order. My friend has to unplug his cd-rw each time he changes hardware configuration (adds or changes agp/pci cards) or else his cd-rw doesn't work. But after doing the change and one restart without the cd-rw he just plugs it back and it works ok again ... go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy72

I am curious. Why do you constantly need to reformat your hard drive? With this system I am running I've last propably reformatted about year and a half ago. And have since upgraded to Win XP Pro. I use Norton Utilities 2002 and really have no need to reformmatting. And yes I constantly install and uninstall games, drivers and utilities and so on.
                Please do not take this as a flame or anything. I am just curious what excatly you do with your pc.

Cheers!

Andy

Ps. Ever considered imaging?

Ps2. Now that I think of it ... could this be something as simple as Win XP configuring your Irq's in a bit wrong order. My friend has to unplug his cd-rw each time he changes hardware configuration (adds or changes agp/pci cards) or else his cd-rw doesn't work. But after doing the change and one restart without the cd-rw he just plugs it back and it works ok again ... go figure.

Well to tell you the truth, I like how my hard drive performs when I keep it clean.... and YES it DOES have a significant impact if you do not! I know, I had 95 and 98 and hardly EVER formatted them and all they ran was slower and slower! And by the way, I have not found one program for xp that can safely rid you of ALL the dlls a program leaves behind after an uninstall! Now I know that some dlls are shared by other programs on win 9x, but it is supposed to be in win xp that if you uninstall a program that only that program is affected, BUT THAT IS NOT THE CASE! I have seen it happen many times over....so the only REAL way I know to make SURE those pesky dlls are gone is to reformat now and again! Besides that, this is a serious problem with the abit siluro GF4 Ti 4200 card! It should not go "blank" whenever you try to upgrade to xp or do a clean install of xp. Someone else may have this problem and that is what I am trying to find out so that they won't feel alone in this problem! You can't fix a problem by saying "well, you can use this card , just don't format your drive and install xp OR even UPGRADE from win 9x....a LOT of people choose this route!" That would be like saying "you can use this car, but only drive in the day because the headlights are out!" (That is not a flame, only a comparison of the two problems, as you can only use the car and video card in a certian way!) The way to fix the car is get the headlights fixed! The way to get this problem solved, is to make Abit Siluro aware, which I have done by writing an email to their tech support ....IF it gets through and is read, but that is their problem not mine! I have also contacted microsoft about the problem and they have an open case on it. As well as going to boards like this one and find out if anyone else has experienced this. You even talked about your friend and what he had to do to get hid cdrw to work in xp. I really don't know what the confilct is, but it needs to be resolved. Not only for my self but others that will buy this card and may have the same problem.
                Here are my specs:

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                  Have you installed the video drivers in 98/ME before the upgrade? :?:
                  Actually wiggo, the first time, I did and then the card 'went blank' trying to upgrade ......so I tried it with JUST WIN ME ONLY....no drivers or programs installed at all..... just the drivers win me provides....SAME RESULT! ( I am talking BOTH upgrading and using i 386 on a clean install using OS drivers only) What I am thinking of doing as I told Andy 72 that I have already contacted microsoft about this, is to contact googlegear (The vendor I bought my card from) and give them my info and ask THEM (Googlegear) to get in touch with Abit Siluro about this problem, because it states on the Abit Siluro website that they cannot answer each and every email they recive from customers...they say there are just too many that come in...... which I find disturbing about this company......... because microsoft is MUCH bigger than them and THEY answer every email I send them! Go figure! So I think the only way to gain their attention is to let Googlegear know about their policy concerning personal emails to Abit Siluro and ask THEM to contact them on my behalf. As it seems the only ones they pay attention to, is the vendors.....or at least their website says they answer ALL Emails from vendors! This does not sit well with me as far as Abit Siluro goes, it is a great card, but find the lack of technical support disturbing........I may choose another brand with better tech support next time.
                  Here are my specs:

Comment

I may be on to something, the guys over at www.tweakxp.com suggest that I may try to set my motherboard bios to 2x agp instead of 4x agp....they said that cards like these were very power hungry and it could affect the way the computer operates. They said some guy on the board installed one of the Geforce 4 Ti cards (didn't say which card) and he only had a 165 watt power supply and his machine kept turning off as soon as he installed his card, whereas it was fine before that! But they said because I have a 300 watt power supply, that this problem wouldn't apply here. When you go from 4x to 2x on the agp slot....does that significantly affect the cards performance???
                    Here are my specs:

Comment

Originally posted by webe3
                      When you go from 4x to 2x on the agp slot....does that significantly affect the cards performance???
                      I run my Ti4200 on 2 x agp becouse thats all this mobo has but I don't think your looking for huge decrease in speeds if you go down to agp x 2. I did search and compare on MadOnions website (3D mark makers) and happened to be among the fastest 750 - 800Mhz machines with 64Mb Ti4200. 99% of the other results run at agp x 4. So i'd say its just one part of many things that make your rig run great.

Note: I don't have experience from really fast processors so what I just said might not aply in +1500Mhz range ...

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Andy72

I run my Ti4200 on 2 x agp becouse thats all this mobo has but I don't think your looking for huge decrease in speeds if you go down to agp x 2. I did search and compare on MadOnions website (3D mark makers) and happened to be among the fastest 750 - 800Mhz machines with 64Mb Ti4200. 99% of the other results run at agp x 4. So i'd say its just one part of many things that make your rig run great.

Note: I don't have experience from really fast processors so what I just said might not aply in +1500Mhz range ...

Andy

Well I guess I will try this and see what happens......can't hurt I guess......Thanks for the info.
                        Here are my specs:

Comment

Working...
                        X