Athalon XP2000+ problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athalon XP2000+ problem

I am running a Gigabyte 7VRXP motherboard with an [OEM]AMDXP200+ 512MB PC2700 - I am 99% sure that I have all the latest drivers/bios

Here is the problem:
    The system runs perfectly @ 100MHz bus. When I switch the system bus speed, via the motherboard, to 133MHz[1.6GHz CPU](which is the correct setting, right!?) the system becomes extremely unstable... lasting maybe a minute before crashing.

When I have it switched to 100MHz, this is what it looks like this:

When I have it @ 133(before the crash) the 'computer' part says 'AMD Athalon XP2000+'
    I'm not sure what the significance of this is, but I would appreciate any help.

How can I get my system to run at the speed it should be at? Anyone had this problem???

Thanks in advance! : peace2:
    <table width="225" height="100" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="100"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">AMD
    Athlon XP2500+ FSB333<br>
    Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
    2X256 Corsair XMS PC3200<br>
    80GB Deskstar 7200RPM</font>
    </p></td><td width="125"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sound
    Blaster Live!<br>
    Volcano 7+<br>
    GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB<br>
    19" TRINITRON CRT FLAT<br><br> ANTEC true430 PSU</font>
    </p></td></tr></table>

Have you left the "CK_RATIO" switch block in the "AUTO" position or are you manually setting the multiplier? (page 13 in the manual) :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

its on auto.. sorry - left that out. :snip:
      <table width="225" height="100" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="100"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">AMD
      Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
      </p></td><td width="125"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sound
      Blaster Live!<br>
      Volcano 7+<br>
      </p></td></tr></table>

Comment

Athlon is spelled with 6 letters.

Comment

Maybe it's the extra letter causing the prob. :?:

Now what have you got in the way of cooling, case and other hardware components (make and model)? And what are your temps? :?:
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Maybe it's the extra letter causing the prob.
            Hey! Don't doubt it for a second!!! :D

Comment

Originally posted by wecaughtyou
              I am 99% sure that I have all the latest drivers/bios
              wecaughtyou
              What is the current version / revision of your BIOS for your motherboard. I build and also troubleshoot quite a lot of systems and I had a friend and she also had similar problems to what you have stated.

Last resort was that I flashed her BIOS to the latest revision and after that her system was stable as a rock.

In the past I have noticed that the Athlon XP processors have had incompatability issues with certain motherboard chipsets and BIOS revisions.

The latest revision for your motherboard is F9. To find out about which revision your motherboard is currently running just keep an eye for it when your booting your PC. You can also hit the PAUSE button on your keyboard while your system is booting if all the data on the screen disappears to quickly.

Click HERE and you will be able to download the latest BIOS image for your motherboard.

Also you can click HERE to instantly to download the latest flash utility.

NOTE:
              You're also going to need a flash utility if you wish to flash your BIOS and also proceed with caution when it comes to flashing your BIOS because if done INCORRECTLY it could result in you having to buy a new motherboard for your system.

Click HERE to learn how to flash your BIOS the right way. If you have any doubts after reading this I suggest for you NOT to flash your BIOS yourself. Find someone with experience to do it for you therefore you will have the opportunity to watch and learn.

Good luck.... :)

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I appreciate it.

I finally figured it out. I was overheating. I installed a volcano 7+ and arctic silver - now it runs @ 1673MHz and 53deg. C.

I do have another problem if you want to help with that one! CLICK HERE TO HELP!

Thanks again!

: peace2:
                Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
                Blaster Live!<br>
                Volcano 7+<br>
                </p></td></tr></table>

Comment

Working...
                X