Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a stupid question...

This may be a very stupid question - forgive me.. I'm new

When I go into my BIOS it says that my CPU temp is 63 degrees C.... from reading other posts I am begining to gather that this is quite high...

Am I in trouble? Does this mean my heat sink is either bad or not installed properly???

HELP!!

thanks
    <table width="225" height="100" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="100"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">AMD
    Athlon XP2500+ FSB333<br>
    Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
    2X256 Corsair XMS PC3200<br>
    80GB Deskstar 7200RPM</font>
    </p></td><td width="125"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sound
    Blaster Live!<br>
    Volcano 7+<br>
    GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB<br>
    19" TRINITRON CRT FLAT<br><br> ANTEC true430 PSU</font>
    </p></td></tr></table>

That high temp can be contributed by many factors.

*Do you have decent case cooling?

*Heatsinks have a sort of ditch if you noticed your motherboards socket you will see that one edge of the socket is elevated; make sure that you aligned this with the Heatsink's ditch (best way i can describe it).

*What type of cooler are you using?

*Did you use Thermal Paste or the Frag Type that comes with some coolers?

The temperatue is high i doubt its the motherboard's temp probe; i haven't heard any complaints from WiGGo...since he has the same motherboard i think. Its prolly due to a lack of case cooling but you never know...fill us with some more info on you setup so we can have an idea.

: peace2:
    - Damien

Comment

My case is actually open right now.. getting plenty of air flow I have 2 case fans and the chipset fan I have is a Coolermaster, not sure what model, but I know it is aluminum.

I am pretty sure I put the 'ditch' in the right place when I installed it. I think I am going to pull it apart... just to make sure.

as far as thermal paste, I didn't use any. The cooler, as I recall, had a little strip of something on the bottom. I didn't put anything on it besides that.

here is the utility I am using...

Thanks for all the help!
      :cheers:
      <table width="225" height="100" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="100"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">AMD
      Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
      </p></td><td width="125"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sound
      Blaster Live!<br>
      Volcano 7+<br>
      </p></td></tr></table>

Comment

well with a 2000+ you probably want to run somthing better than a aliminium HSF, something like the "Volcano 7+" by thremaltake, or the "SLK-800" by Thremalright, should do the trick better.
        Also always use a decent TIM like Artic Silver 3, it heaps better than the standard stuff.
        And if you used what was pre-aplied did it have a protective mat that you forgot to remove?

Comment

Well dude like Segiy mentioned aluminum is not the best. It does the job but not the best possible. Although i still think that is too much for the heat even with that aluminum cooler.

I i also think that just 2 case fans will not cut it man. Especially if they are in the front and covered by ribbon cables and what not.

Make sure you have exhuast fans as well...and a side panel mod of atleast one 80mm (2 would be best) blowing air into the case directly on the cpu cooler and video card would help alot. Always keep in mind that exhaust fans are just as important and should be taken into cosideration.

Are both fans intake...?: peace2:
          - Damien

Comment

:D More fans, more fans, more fans. more fans. :D

Comment

^^DO what the DOCTOR saids!^^...lol
              - Damien

Comment

Thanks for all the advice... I ordered my volcano 7+, arctic silver and a shim from coolerguys.com today... until I get those, I am not running my system anymore.

I tore it apart to see if I installed the cooler correctly and as far as I could tell it was on there fine. The 'standard stuff' that came with my cooler looked like it had been fried pretty good... is that normal? I don't think I harmed my CPU... I hope so at least.

As far as fans... I think I said it the wrong way. I actually have 2 exhaust fans, one that goes right over my CPU and another that is right under my video card. Then, I have one case fan that is in front. Is this setup ok, or should I really open up the side of my rig with some more case fans? It is quite noisy as it is...

Thanks again! : peace2:
                Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
                Blaster Live!<br>
                Volcano 7+<br>
                </p></td></tr></table>

Comment

Just be sure that you fit the shim the right way (not to short or lift on any bridges) and only a very thin even coat of heat grease on the top of the core is necessary. ;)
                  Also in stock condition with that setup, medium speed of the Volcano 7+ is all that you should need. :thumb:
                  <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Make sure your shim is a non conductive shim and not a copper one or something like that. Make your Artic silver thin and only put or try to keep it on top of the core.

See how you do with that case setup you have...if its still to hot some side panel intake fans will come in handy.
                    - Damien

Comment

Artic Ice? Be carefull that is not a cheap rip off of artic silver

Comment

I did get a non electricly conductive shim and I typed the wrong name... I did get arctic silver 3 and not arctic ice.

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully I'll be up and running soon!

Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
                        Blaster Live!<br>
                        Volcano 7+<br>
                        </p></td></tr></table>

Comment

Keep us informed!

Comment

a stupid question...
                            The only stupid question is the one you dont ask. Here is a link to how to apply AS3. It is a very good how to and you will learn alot about cpu installing.
                            Good Luck

That easytune4 looks kinda kwel. Will it work for other mobo ie epox? If so is there a place to download it or is it gigabyte proprietary software?

Comment

Yeah, I forgot to post, but I got my Volcano 7+ and now I'm running at about 55... 10 degrees cooler! Not bad eh?

Easy tune is pretty neat. I don't know if it works on other boards, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to give it a go! GET IT HERE

Thanks for all the help and advice... you can check out my other post, which is related HERE

Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
                              Blaster Live!<br>
                              Volcano 7+<br>
                              </p></td></tr></table>

Comment

Working...
                              X