PDA

View Full Version : ohhhhhhhhhh crap

new builder
08-13-2002, 07:57 AM
Guys big problem!!!!!!!! I think someone can control my computer!!!!!!! About two minutes ago I was online and I.E. bogged down big time. Than when I was typing a post someone started writing words and before they could get any farther I pulled out my either net cord on my laptop. Now I use a cable modem running through a netgear rt314 which is supposed to act as a firewall. What should I be looking for program wise in xp to try to get rid of these people, because itís freaking me out. I didnít notice any unusual programs in the control panel add remove section. I do not have this problem with the desktop that is plugged into this router/switch. Thanks. :(

Beefy
08-13-2002, 08:32 AM
Firstly, make sure it's no one locally playing a joke on you.
Secondly, what were they typing? :)
Thirdly, with your router have you got any sort of port forwarding set up?
Fourthly, what it actually sounds like is a trojan. There's a couple free trojan scanners out and about that can scan your system for you.

<a href="http://www.moosoft.com/thecleaner/download.php" target="_blank">The Cleaner</a> is a good utility to use for checking for trojans...

Let us know how you go

zeradul
08-13-2002, 10:12 AM
Fithly, get, install, use, and thoroughly understand a good firewall.

Run it always.

Beefy
08-13-2002, 11:25 AM
actually zeradul, he's got a good start already by using the Netgear router that he has. With basic NAT functionality, he can stop a lot of stuff getting through. And with port forwarding, he can easily block ports that he needs to.

Assuming it is all set up, of course. :)

zeradul
08-13-2002, 11:49 AM
I guess I missed the rt in his netgear model. Doh. Yes, a router is good, but until you figure out whats going on, a firewall can tell you alot.

FA-MAS
08-13-2002, 11:57 AM
Back Orifice maybe? Some information here:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backorifice.html

Beefy
08-13-2002, 02:21 PM
I was thinking that.... unless Netbus is still doing the rounds... guess we'll have to wait and see

new builder
08-13-2002, 08:42 PM
News update. Scanned with "The cleaner" and nothing. Did another norton anti-virus scan and still nothing. Now i'm really stuck on how to identify this? And I know it's not local because I know my parents or brother have no idea on how to do something like this because they can barley surf the internet as it is.

Also, I have not set up port forwarding with my router. I couldn't find any easy to understand netgear instructions on how to do that. And for those of you tat were wondering, I was trying to make a post here when someone started typing something like: "EOE and is tough a" some jibber jabish for all i can tell. I pulled the cord before that had a chance to do anything.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

sKuLLsHoT
08-15-2002, 10:29 AM
you dont happen to have a wireless keyboard?

new builder
08-15-2002, 09:22 PM
Nope no wireless keyboard. It's a laptop so i'm using the built in keyboard rather than an external one.

ReSpAwN DeMoN
08-16-2002, 03:41 PM
Usually trojens will go through ports already open. It'll find any open hole available. I say get yourself a software firewall for now. Cause once they get through the router firewall its now rendered useless. With a software firewall it'll tell you every time there is access from a certain IP on what port it was from you basically grant it or deny it acess or not. There fore when the person wants to "play" with you......you will know right when it happens and will be able to stop it. My brother had similiar problems. He was posting in an xbox forum when some words like "Latest on CNN antrax attacks blow blay blah" I immediatly recognized it as a trojen and sure enough it was sub7.

new builder
08-16-2002, 09:35 PM
Alright i'll get a software firewall for now. Any recommendations of whihc one is the best? Black Ice, Norton, Macafee? Anyone have any good sites on how fully utilize this router besides netgears web site (not that helpful)? Thanks, ths site sooooooooooo rocks:cheers:

Wiggo
08-16-2002, 10:00 PM
ZoneAlarm (http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp), the free version at the bottom of the page I find enough for my purposes. ;)
<center>:cheers:</center>

new builder
08-17-2002, 12:56 AM
Free is always good:D I'll give it a spin and hope that works. Thanks:)

Beefy
08-17-2002, 01:47 AM
Zone Alarm is the best firewall I've seen, whether it be free or not.

Mr. C
08-17-2002, 09:31 AM
Free is always good:D
I'm liking this guy - we could be related:?:

new builder
08-19-2002, 09:35 PM
Mr. C

Hells yeah. Glad to know someone else knows where it's at when it comes to getting things for free:D

FaithSmiles
08-29-2002, 02:28 AM
Well, if you like free Zone Alarm is the best. Why pay when you can get something for free right?

BlackIce:hammer:

You know, I was wondering, are the things I've been hearing about IRC chat rooms true? About IRC being vulnerable to script attacks.

Birdkiller
08-29-2002, 08:36 PM
IRC has scripting built in, but to be atacked usually people will try to get you to paste or write in some commands to disconnect you etc.

basicly dont paste anything in that other people tell ya to, unless me or beefy tell ya to :D

Wiggo
08-29-2002, 11:08 PM
And then they'll screw ya PC because they didn't know what they were doin' anyway. :D
<center>:cheers:</center>

ne0z
09-10-2002, 09:47 AM
If you are using Windows XP then you may have remote access enabled and someone is coming in. The only problem with that is it will log you out in the process. Also, are you running any remote software like Tight VNC, AT&T VNC, Remotely Possible, Remote Anywhere, or PC Anywhere. Do a open port scan and see if any ports are open in the higher ranges ( i.e > than 5000). Just a thought.

new builder
09-12-2002, 05:04 AM
I'm officialy an idiot. Had speach recognition turned on (didn't know i did that) and my laptop came with the mic on. Thus the gibberish and slow down when it was happening. Guess I was swearing at my computer to much that night. Thanks for all of your help, i'm gonna go sit in the corner for being a dumb ass now:geek:

FLaCo
09-12-2002, 06:53 AM
LMAO ROFL.... that is funny man...but don't worry about...everyone got info on stuff even though it was for no reason...funny tho...

At least you now know Zone Alarm is the best when it comes to firewalls and you know its free.

Even though it was nothing it could have been something...so don't worry about it.:)