Thermaltake Volcano 7+ HSF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermaltake Volcano 7+ HSF

:cheers: Im new, and i gotta say that every conceivable thought has been put into this forum to make it the most detailed and upto date forum i've come across. BIG thanks for making me so welcome. i already have a first question which i hope the administrator can answer.. or at least i hope someone here has tampered about with an ABIT KG7 RAID mobo. I supposedly have an AMD approved PSU. I recently bought the new Thermaltake Volcano 7+ cooler 462 socket A version. question is: Do you think that this cooler will fit and hold stable enough on my KG7, i can not use the two side clips, for my socket i can only use teh middly clip, with teh fan being quite weighty:) ?:) ?

Welcome aboard!

It will fit and even though the more recent models of the Volcano 7+ come with the 6 lug clip i suppose it would just use the middle one since that is all thats available by what you tell me. Its a very heavy HS but if you computer is going to be stationary i don't see a problem with it.

*I must mention that in a TT review on the Volcano 7+ mentioned that the cooler did shake on the highest speed setting. I don't think it was a violent shake or anything to worry about. I have mine on medium most of the time unless i am overclocked or just messing around. My 7+ doesn't shake at all because it uses all 6 lugs but considering that you will be using only the 2 center lugs that might occur. You should check out that article here it is --------->Thermaltake Volcano 7+ HSF Review :)
    - Damien

Comment

The several 7+'s with the straight thru the middle clip that I've used have all fitted well and none so far have exhibited that wobble yet. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

no shaking at all man, to the Volcano 7+ u can debate about the noise but otherwise IT RULES!:devil:

Comment

I wonder if that wobbly Volcanoe had a sticker on the hub of the fan? - if it was offset a bit it might cause a vibration at high rpm's

I always pull off any stickers on the rotating parts of my fans prior to installation - just to be safe

Comment

For what its worth... I bought a pack of 4 Enermax Heat sensitive fans about 6 months ago, and they are great, but for whatever reason, one vibrates alot more than the others. It is possible the production of the blades varies slightly, making the blades on one side slightly thicker.

They are made in a process called plastic injection molding, and if something (speck of plastic or similar) gets pinched on one side of the mold, and holds the mold even a thousandth of an inch open, that is enough to cause one side of the blades to be thicker, therefore heavier, and therefore the fan vibrates.

The only solution is to replace the fan, or anchor it down with something that will absorb the vibration. This is tricky, and not very effective though in most cases.

Comment

Well the fan that wobbled was the one that was reviewed...but Jamie can see that there will prolly be no problem with the 2 lug clip.:thumb:
              - Damien

Comment

My board is a KG7 RAID mobo. and it would be nice to ABIT
                thinking about the designs on the socket 462/ A bit more. just to be extra careful that a fan like the Volcano 7+ holds stably. It's a shame....those side clips r a bit of a waste :laugh:. Anyways thanks Wiggo, RDR and Flacco. I'll let you know on my progress of fitting the FAN. Despite the large Capacitors spaced around the socket, I think I should still have plenty of room for the FAN and power testing my board. Ive heard that many other ppl who own this board are still trying to resolve issues with it freezing up in 133 FSB settings. Some memory types just like voltage settings lower than others. But i personally think its all to do with voltage settings with the board. Elysium, its nice to see someone with this board already on my second day. Please let us know how the board is fairing 4 you? Once again, thankyou every1 for the help!!

Comment

Well My ABit board designed its socket with its six lugz i have no idea why they ever decided to use the just two format. Anyhow i am glad to help...Peace: peace2:
                  - Damien

Comment

I just got in my Tt Volcano 7+ today and i haven't got in my processor but I was wondering if I need anything to kinda take the weight off the cpu. I was reading the user's manual of my mobo and it said something about a pedestal or something like that to take the weight off of the cpu? I am getting in a P4 1.5 GHz. Thanks for the nfo. :shoot3: :shoot2:

Comment

I think they were just talking about the HSF mounting system that is used for P4 sockets. ;)
                      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Just keep a close eye on your temp....anything wrong in the mounting will quickly show there...set your default shut down to around 50-55c just o be sure......I've got a vibrating fan on the Igloo cooler on my 1800+ and it makes a bit of a racket at times.....just watch the temp and set your shutdown threshhold low if you are worried...that'll cater for any mishap while you are running...

just a thought or two

Comment

Yes, oldbugger,thanks I'll take that into account as you you can never be too careful setting cpu fans up. They require as much delicacy and deserve as much care and attention as CPU's. Well ok less than average!! Moctezuma05, no doubt you bought the Socket 472 version for Intel P4 unless you have the older 370. Ah... care to trade in two side mounted clips for a two lug clip by any chance!!!

Comment

Hehe, thats a very tempting trade but I think I'll have to resist this time. :shoot3: :shoot2:

Comment

Working...
                            X