Wanting to overclock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting to overclock

Ok...........I decided to overclock. Now I know I should have used the pencil trick to unlock the multiplyers on my thunderbird. I decided not to because it was to much of a risk to remove my heatsink and risk cracking the core. I was in my bios just now and I decided to bring up my bus speeds. I'm currently running 136. I'm afraid to bring it up any higher but then I see some people running it at 150!!! What do you think I should raise it to? I do know that overclocking the bus puts stress on all compenents. I know someone who killed there hard drive by overclocking the bus. 3Mhz may not be alot but because its DDR its actually 6Mhz. Is that alot? What is alot?

Also when loading up quake 3 for some stability tests it loaded SOOOOOOOOOOO slow. As of now I don't really notice any improvements system wise. After I finish my overclock I'm really looking forward to breaking the 7000 barrier in 3dmark I'm at 6944. I'm almost positive I'll break it. Anway thanks for any advise.

ad long as you temps stay good you should be right, just keep an eye on them, and if you do get a stabilaty problem just drop it back a bit.

Comment

ok..............I just don't wanna kill any compenents. especially my video card I paid 318 for it. How many mhz's do you think I have to go before I notice speed increase in 3dmark and quake?

Comment

well obviously 137*10.5 isn't stable because it locked up right in the middle of 3dmark. The one where all the people are shooting each other. I guess upping the voltage one notch might make it more stable so I'm gonna do that right now I'm running stock.

Comment

just read trough a few guides if you are unsure, you are highly unlikely to blow-up your graphics card, apparentlly if you do they simply shut off, so you should be safe.
          What temps are you running now? uping the voltage will increse cpu temp.

Comment

Well.............
            CPU
            Idle: 38-40 (102-104)
            Load: 41-43 (107-109)

Case:
            Idle: 28-30 (84-86)
            Load: 30-31 (87-89)

However at night my cpu can creep up as high as 45 (113)!!! I didn't even think about load while the cpu is this hot. Its only some nights though. Like right now I think my cpu is at like 104 (40).

Comment

Just increase the core voltage to 1.80-1.85 volts and see if ya can get that 136MHz FSB stable. ;)
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

About how much more performance do you think I'm getting out of this overclock? Is it more of a risk on the components then it is performance increase wise?

I'll get to this tomrrow morning. I'm gonna get some sleep its 4 in the morning. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Comment

You will get much better results if you lower the multiplier and raise the FSB to outrageous speeds, but you should still be able to overclock your system by raising only the FSB. Here are a few things to consider...

- You don't need to worry about the system temperatures unless they get a good bit higher. As a general rule, just keep them below 50C and you will have no problems at all.

- You will likely get a little boost in top speed if you raise the Core Voltage to 1.85v. While it does cause the temperatures to creep up a bit, the overall end result is well worth it.

- Though theoretically possible to trash a component when overclocking, it is highly unlikely. Generally when you push your system too far it will either lock up on you, refuse to load Windows, or give you nothing but a blank screen during bootup. Just use the CMOS jumper on the motherboard to reset the BIOS settings back to factory default and you can start over again.

- You will get better results if you go ahead and unlock the multiplier. This will allow you to lower the multiplier and raise the FSB to a higher level. Many times this will give you a better overclock. It also spreads the stress of the system speed throughout the entire system and not just the processor.

- To give an additional boost, raise the memory voltage a notch to 2.6v. This will sometimes allow you to get better results with the FSB overclocking. It is also a very safe increment to raise the voltage as it will not require any active cooling of the memory modules.

Good luck and let us know your results. :)
                  Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                  My Toys

Comment

I don't know if this is good or bad or if I'm still doing something wrong. But my comp is still unstable at these speeds. Now I don't remember specifically but at the crucial website I remember something about anymore then 2.X is guarenteed to destroy the memory module. Or something like that. So I didn't bother touching the voltage on the memory. What else or does that mean I don't touch voltage I don't overclock?

Comment

When you raise the voltage of the memory, it forces it to create a stronger signal when communicating with the system board. Stock voltages for DDR memory is 2.5v so the 2.6v setting won't do any harm. I have had my Crucial DDR sitting at 2.6 since I had it.

Also on the topic of memory, what CAS settings are you using in the BIOS? Sometimes if you get very aggressive on the memory timings, it causes the system to refuse to run higher FSB speeds.
                      My Toys

Comment

2.5 and every memory timing or ANYTHING memory related is left at default.

Comment

Pop the voltage up a notch then. If you start getting better results, then you may want to look at some sort of active cooling for the memory modules and crank them up even more. :)
                          My Toys

Comment

:cool: What active cooling for the mem do you recommend?

Comment

You could try Thermaltake's Active Memory Cooling Kit. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X