asus a7v(original) + 1400 tbird 266mhz fsb by changing multi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asus a7v(original) + 1400 tbird 266mhz fsb by changing multi

Just a question for any experienced AMD overclockers/modifiers...
    I have an original a7v motherboard and I'm trying to upgrade it to its maximum, which would be a k7 1400 if i'm not mistaken. However, for the money, a 1400 with a 266mhz fsb is considerably cheaper than a 1400 with a 200mhz fsb. I was wondering whether it would be possible for me to purchase a 1400 with a 266mhz fsb, change the multiplier from 10.5(x133) to 14(x100) and still have it function properly with this motherboard?? Anyone have experience doing something similar? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Coho

I think that you'll find that a 1300MHz Thunderbird with 200MHz FSB is the largest support for that board (jumper wise anyway) and I havn't heard of anyone trying to put a 266MHz FSB CPU in one. What have you got in it at the moment? :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Seein' as ya don't have a CPU for it yet you may want to contact Asus and see if that board would support a 1.3GHz Duron. The multipliers and FSB would be right and the price much better so I'd imagine but it would be if the CPU would be recognised properly. Just a thought to an option. :smokin:

Comment

If the motherboard will allow you to adjust the multiplier to a 14x, then it may be able to run just fine... IF the processor will allow it. But considering that you are running the original KT133 chipset, it might be advisable to replace the motherboard first and get a new processor down the road a bit.

The KT133 based motherboards don't overclock for squat. To get even a FSB speed of 110 takes some major tweaking many times. If you take an old T-Bird 1000 and a newer mainboard, then you're almost assured of at least a 1400MHz speed. The newer chipsets have a real support for the 133MHz FSB that the KT133 boards lack.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

anyone know what it would be for a tbird rev c? an interesting thought would be whether or not i need to actually configure it to be a 5x multiplier?? take a look:

http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/info/cpu/index.htm

Comment

Didn't know about the 5 multiplier and the 14 being blended so yes it should so let us know how ya go with it. ;)

Comment

hmm...so where might i find info regarding how i should config the bridges in order to get the desired multiplier setting???

Comment

Well I didn't hear of any locked 1.4's but if all the L1 bridges are cut you should just rejoin them then set the jumpers/switches for multiplier and FSB that you require. ;)

Comment

All Tbirds 1.2gig and over were multiplier unlocked......you can probably run any combo you chose and that the mobo allows......the higher the fsb the better in terms of memory performace but you should be able to get all manner of combos working.....I had a 1333 running up to 1737 with lots of combos in between ...just experiment ...remember you may need to know how to reset your bios should you get a bit aggressive....usually one jumper or hold [ins] while booting...there is generally enough protection to prevent you permanently damaging a chip in the short term...

give it a go and have some fun

Comment

Working...
                  X