No announcement yet.

Install Top Exhaust Fan Through Metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install Top Exhaust Fan Through Metal?

My brother just got a new tower, and wants to install an exhaust fan at the top of the case. How does he cut a circular hole through the metal? Thanks

I used a lathe type bit in a drill press, you could also use a jigsaw or dremal

Comment

I use a jigsaw. Just mask the top of the case with masking tape, markout the cut and holes, drill your mounting holes and a starter hole for the jigsaw then just carve the piece of steel out. Finish off the edges with a file then peel off the masking tape and give it a cleanup. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Wiggo Do you use a template when marking the holes to drill?

Comment

Just go off the fan, mesure the inside of the fan and use something to draw that size circle (compas, lid, etc.) and your away :thumb:

Comment

I use the 3" drill bit and use the fan as a template. I then draw two a diagnol lines to make a cross one like this "/" and another one like this "\" on top of it. That will give the actual center of the fan and the starting point for my drill.
            - Damien

Comment

I just measure where I want the center of the fan and markout the hole with a compass (3" dia for 80mm, 3.6" for 92mm and 4.7" for 120mm). Then I line up the fan with the marked hole and drill the pilot holes for the screws (these are then drilled to full size (5-6mm) once the fan is taken away. Then I drill a 3/8" hole just a few mm's inside the cut line then with the jigsaw (using at least a 32pt metal cutting blade) cut almost to the marked line (try just to stay just to the inside of the line) till the hole is cut. Smooth and finish the hole off with a curved back file. :smokin:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

These may work. Depending on the situation when he's ready to start cutting we will be able to do it. Thank god for my wind tunnel plus :lips:

Comment

I'm lucky, we have a machine shop at work :D
                  I can have as much "fun" as possible, during off-hours that is...
                  SPAM Special Ops

Comment

ya so it must be easy for you.

Comment

If you are mounting the blower externally, the opening won't really have to be very tidy - the fan hides a lot.
                      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

ya but making the hole hidden would be hidden by a fan which is not something you really want to look at. as its not really professional at all. However this is not the case if you decide to mod your case with a monster and have the air from the fan come in through the monsters mouth.

Comment

Yes, it's a matter of taste.
                          Personally I don't mind the fan extending 1 1/4" above the case. That way it is drawing the uppermost air out of the case, which should be the warmest air inside. Instead of allowing a deadspace at the top of the case interior.

But it does look cleaner if the fan is mounted internally.
                          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I didn't even think of that. That would help manners some won't it? Speaking of. I have two cd-rom drives at the top two bays of my computer and well I have a rounded ata cable set up on those drives and the drives get so close together that the rubber coating on the rounded cable ends up breaking because of it. Not really breaking but you know how plastic will start to turn a little whitish when it weakens? Well its starting to look like that. Besides that its blocking air flow of half the fan.

Comment

Be scientific, mount the fan internal and get some good readings on your temperature. Being as you will already have all the hole and hardware you can switch it to external and see if it does make a significant difference.

I've just always had mine external because of physics I guess?
                              I'd really have to do some cosmetic work on the hole in my case before I could try an internal mount.
                              But actually, like I said I really don't mind the fan sticking up - kinda like the blower on the hood of a street rod. LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X