Firewire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewire

I wuz wondering if it is worth buying a Firewire card? I dunno if I really need one but is there anything coming out that I might need a firewire card for? Thnx for the info :shoot3: :shoot2:

Moving thread first of all.. :D

If you don't think you need a Firewire card, or you aren't sure, then you don't. It's that simple.

Comment

But if ya think that ya may there are also cards that will give you 3 USB 2.0 ports and 2 firewire ports. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

That pretty much sums it up nicely. <--- To Beefy's comment. Wiggo snuck in on me *again* :)

It really only makes sense to get something along these lines if you're into digital video. There aren't that many peripherals that make use of Firewire and that probably won't change anytime in the future. With USB 2.0 and SerialATA both getting ready to duke it out, Firewire is really a moot issue.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

there are some firewire internet cams... but then again, you can get them in a usb2.0 flavour as well, and the "stream speed" would be the same...
          SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Yeah... that falls into that "Digital Video" category I was noting. It's about the only thing out there that really took hold of the Firewire technology. It's a good thing, but there are just too many choices and other peripheral makers took another route. If motherboard manufacturers would have adopted Firewire more, then it probably would be the standard.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

There's also a few other things that may be worth noting... External storage and external CD-RW drives. But again, you can already get them in different flavours (USB / USB 2.0) that it's not worth buying a card for them.

However, all that being said, if you wanted to have Firewire for the sake of having it (even though you'll probably never use it) then I'd suggest getting a SB Audigy instead. You get a very good sounds card with a Firewire port. Much better than a card that will hardly be used.

Comment

Even one of the GeForce4 Ti 4600's come with a firewire card. I use mine with my vidcam.

Comment

Or you could just grab a new case, that would also have a firewire port as well as a couple of USB's although taht probably isnt good pricewise.

Comment

How is grabbing a new case going to help? You might have the ports on the outside (maybe) but you still won't have anywhere to connect them on the inside...

Comment

If he needs a sound card, the audigy with the firewire makes more sense than two cards.

Comment

Working...
                      X