Watercooling ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watercooling ..

Hi, I have a XP 1700+ on a epox 333 - RAID board W/ 512MB 266 memory and 2 Maxtor 80BG 100ATA (RAID), and I'm running windows XP professional.

I'm about to clock the S*** out of my poor comp, but before I start bugging you all with stupid OC-questions I need some help with a water cooling system :)
    I've heard that if you go for watercooling you have to worry about condese (how is that spelled?), and leakage (spelling? =)
    and. . . and... so on.
    Is there so much to worry about, and what part shall i pick?
    Im willing to spend 250$, but I need a new case with power.
    And I relly want a quiet system, I'm really needy aren't I?, because right now I'm using 8fans thats really loud.
    So if someone could plz help me with this I'm really happy.

Condensation of water vapor inside your case and/or a water leak inside your case = disaster = lots of $$$$$$.

Comment

Condensation isn't really a problem in a plain watercooled setup, it becomes a problem when petliers are involved. Also when assembling a water cooled system before you install the electrical components run the cooling system for a couple of days first to see if it leaks and if it does to fix them leaks. :smokin:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

it becomes a problem when petliers are involved
        Or, when you begin cooling your radiator with something cooler than room temperature.

Comment

A large water reservoir in a fridge even. ;)

Comment

I'm planning on using just a regular watercooling, and one 120mm papst fan for cooling the radiator, or maby i just find me a nice big fridge radiator, you know the ones that are bigger than 1m2 :D, and no fan just for keeping it very quiet.
            Have anyone tryed a non fan WC-system ?, if so how does it works?

-Thank you for all the answers, they have calmed me down a little. :)

Comment

It's just not as inherently efficient as one with a fan. You need additional surface area to have the same effect.

Comment

All this for an AMD 1700+ ??

Change cpu for a 2000+ or a 2100+ th oc the crap out of that :)

Or

Get yourself an AMD 2400+ or a 2600+ :)

the 2000+ are very cheap at the moment .:afro:

Comment

Have anyone tryed a non fan WC-system ?, if so how does it works?
                  This all depends on Room temperature. You also need to position the radiator, so that the fins are verticle, so the warmed air can rise out. This would work very well in a cool room, even during an overclocked situation. The processor would remain warmer (of course) that it would be if the radiator had a fan on it, however, processors can handle heat and even in the warmest of rooms you wouldn't be able to overheat as long as you had a working water cooling setup with vertical fins that allow air to come in the bottom and exit the top. Just make sure to not set any books on top... heh.. ;)

Comment

Here is a few very interesting Graphs that show thermal conductivity. They are the best I've found, and whattaya know, they're from MIT.

http://web.mit.edu/3.091/www/pt/pert14.html

Top Performers in Thermal Conductivity (Measured in Watts conducted, per Meter, per degree C)

#1 Silver 429
                    #2 Copper 401
                    #3 Aluminum 237

See, now this is why all of the good heatsinks are made out of copper.

Comment

Good info there except that gold (AU) beats aluminum.

Comment

Ah-ha! You're right! AL is no better than Fourth!

Comment

But on top of silver is diamond. :D Get a heat sink made out of diamond... talk about bling-bling :smokin:

Comment

If you have that much money to buy a diamond heatsink, you woudn't need to OC it.

Comment

Originally posted by drpeterbright
                              If you have that much money to buy a diamond heatsink, you woudn't need to OC it.
                              Yeah but what if I wanted to :P.

Comment

Working...
                              X