Need info on OCing a 2.0a to run DDR333

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info on OCing a 2.0a to run DDR333

I am waiting on my mobo and cpu and already have my samsung pc2700 ram, yet I found out today that I will not be able to run my ram at 2700 (only 2100) due to the fact that the 2.0a only has a 400 mhz fsb, to run the ram at top speed I would need to OC my cpu to 2.6 to get the 133 multiplier........thus allowing me to set my ram to 2700.

So..........being a complete newb to OCing, I'm gonna need to know if thats correct.............and anything else i need to know? I'm buying the akura 8568 (heatsink/fan) and I'm considered artic silver 3 (even though im scared to use thermal paste)

Epox 4g4a
    P4 2.0a
    Samsung 256mb DDR333

Actually that's not quite right. While your FSB runs at a default 100MHz the memory can be run at 133MHz. Now once you start overclocking the FSB the memory goes up in speed in pace with the FSB so if you get your FSB to 120MHz then your memory will be running at 153MHz which is getting close to its rated speed. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I'd have to say math isn't my strong point, i'm not gonna even ask for a explanation...........cause I'd probably still be confused =P Yet to top out my ram it would need to be around 153 mhz....................did you say while the fsb is 100 mhz the ram CAN BE or IS 133Mhz

Comment

Yes that's basically it, your memory can run at 33MHz above that of the FSB and for each 1MHz you increase your FSB by you'll also increase the memory speed by that much.
        So maybe ya won't get the full benefit of the memory's speed but at least ya should know that it won't hold ya back at least. :smokin:

Comment

Someone messaged me saying that this board has a jumper to run the ram at 333, so if I want to overclock my comp to 2.6 anyways...............what kinda complications will this cause for the ram? If that jumper basically sets it to a 133 multiplier wont I be pushing my ram by changing my fsb settings?

Comment

I havn't worked with a P4 board but I believe (I've been told so anyway) that on some the AGP and PCI buses can be locked also while overclocking the FSB.

Come on where are all the P4 experts? :?:

Comment

Working...
            X