Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade - Tight Budget

hey guys,

i have to upgrade my old box (specs below) and i need to get the price to the minimum available...i play games a hell of a lot but i dont particular want to pay $300+ (AUS) for a Geforce 4200.

so here is a list of my thoughts so far give me a yell if they are dodgey :thumb:

AMD Palamino XP 1800 - $190.00
    Pioneer DVD 16x 40x CDROM Slot Load - $110.00
    Epox 8K5A2+ (Via KT333/8235, 3x DDR, LAN) - $250.00
    Kingston 256mb PC-2700 333MHz CAS-2.5 - $165.00
    Leadtek Winfast Geforce 4 MX440 64mb TV Out - $190.00

I need to cut costs so i suggested the GeForce 4 MX440...if this is a **** card please say and another suggestion...thanks guys

appreciated

A LITE-ON 16/40 DVD is around $90 and I hope that is the price of a boxed CPU. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I would have a look at either a GF3Ti200 or a Radeon9000/Radeon8500LE before any GF4MX

I can get a Powercolor Radeon9000 for ~$127cdn right now - I think that's about $180-190Aus & it provides hardware DX8 support and higher frame rates than a GF4MX in most current games

Comment

Nah ya jumping to $300+aus there. :(

Comment

None the less, Wiggo, If he is a gamer, he needs to know this...

The GF4MX is nothing but a top end GF2.

It will NOT play Doom3, or any other game that requires hardware T&L.

Any GF3 will out-perform the GF4MX.

---

If you still decide you can't afford the GF3 Ti200, then get a DDR GF2, and just wait until you can upgrade to a GF3, GF4, or NV30.

And if you are hoping to have the system for a long time before you upgrade again, you should check out this link. http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...4571#post74571

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
            Nah ya jumping to 0+aus there. :(
            Price grabber found me a Radeon9000Pro 128MBDDR for $87USD - surely they can't be over $300 in Australia :confused:

right now the Radeon9000 has to be the best candidate in Thoric's price range - although if you can afford to wait, there could be price cut's comming to the GF4Ti4200 or alternatives available from SiS(Xabre) or Trident(XP4)

Comment

It's quite likely that it will be another month or so before they get here and atm the cheapest 8500 goes for $310aus (normally $400), most GF3 Ti200's (if you can still find a place with them) are usually around the $300aus though most that still have them now are trying to get rid of them for $275aus. Then there's the GF4 Ti4200's which start at around $310aus for a 64MB or $350 for the 128MB and go to around $450aus (depending on model and software packages).
              Now Thoric here is a high school student and I think that you may see the bigger picture here. ;)
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

aproximately triple US prices and you have the equivalent aussie price. Instead of an MX440, i say either look at a radeon 7500 or GF3 TI200. The cheapest ive seen one in australia is $264 but i still find that too expensive to be worth considering. Radeon 7500's are good cards, and you can pick one up for about $170 thats with the 270/460 GPU/Mem clock, these cards rate about equal with the GeForce 4 MX440, but they have better 2D quality and DVD playback.

Comment

Also suggested, SiS Xabre 400. Its $200 at AusPCMarket, but its a very good card for the price, performs about on par with a GeForce 4 MX460 and in some cases GF3 Ti200. Only problem is some compatibility issues.

Comment

hrmm, well it looks like a need a fair bit of cash for the video card...another option would be to wait and get one later on, i also need a new HDD.

Western Digital Caviar (80gb, 7200rpm, ATA100, 8MB) $265.00

i plan on using this for mp3's, and movies...is the 8mb cache worth it over a 2mb one?

also:

AMD Duron 1300mhz OEM $115.00 (1.2mhz is $110.00)
                    AMD PALAMINO XP 1800+ (1530mhz) RETAIL $190.00

they are the cheapest cpu's at the moment...

www.scorptec.com.au

Comment

If you're editing video, the 8 mb cache comes in handy to speed things up.

Comment

oh another thing i forgot to mention is ill be using it for dvd ripping....so encoding and all that bizzo...however the os will be on a 40gb ata-100 7200 2mb ...

Comment

Well if you don't mind getting a 1600+ and ocing it (then upgrade later) you can get them for only $55 US at www.newegg.com... might save a bit of money and you can always upgrade in the future...

Comment

He lives in Australia. ;)

Comment

thanks for the input guys...

i think ill get a 1.2ghz morgan and a 80gb now, then upgrade the motherboard, video card, and ram later on...when i get more cash :(

thanks again :thumb: :cheers:

Comment

Working...
                              X