Silicone Thermal Compound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silicone Thermal Compound

Yes it's that Volcano 7+ again. Does anyone know what type of silicone compound is shipped with the thermaltake volcano 7+. Should i be best using it. I'm having a big descision making my mind up on this or buying artic silver. is there anything that is weaker than arctic silver 3 just in case my fan has to come off? is this a bad question because i know that once you put some compounds on you will damage the CPU taking it off. not that i literally want this to happen

Ok....few things to get straight here first.

Number one I'm not sure about the volcano 7+ but I can only assume that generic tim comes with any HSF's. You'd be best with AS3 or Evergreen Thermagic I think its called. As of now I heard those are the industries best.

As for taking off the heatsink with compound already applied damaging CPU's. This is far from the truth. I've removed plenty of heatsinks with compound already on it. Cpu's condition? Just fine and dandy.

My opinion go get yourself some AS3 or Thermagic. AS3 is $6USD at newegg.com. You'd be much happier and its known to have like 2-3C degree difference.

Comment

Thermal compound isn't the easiest thing to remove, but some alcohol on a rag (or even better, an old toothbrush) and a bit of scrubbing should get it off.
      You definitely need to use the TIM - but Arctic Silver's is definitely superior to most that is supplied with HSF's. If it's handy go get some - if not you can use the stuff supplied until you get a better grade. Just clean the old off and apply the new when you get it.
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Thermal Compounds enemy is the ol' trusty can of WD-40 just a little squirt on the end of a q-tip and bye bye thermal compound.

Comment

The Volcano 7+ is supplied with a small satchel of white paste but, yes as ReSpAwN DeMoN said, get yourself either some AS3 or Evergreen Thermagic as these are much better. ;)
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
            Thermal Compounds enemy is the ol' trusty can of WD-40 just a little squirt on the end of a q-tip and bye bye thermal compound.
            Be very careful if you use this technique. You will want to make extra sure that you get all the WD-40 off when you clean it. Since WD-40 is oil based it tends to leave behind a coating that can inhibit the effectiveness of the TIM that you are going to put onto the processor. That's what makes either Isopropyl Alcohol or Acetone so good... they evaporate very quickly and leave next to no residuals behind. ;)
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

uh oh. I didn't even relize that WD-40 is oil based. That's why they use it for squeeky gears and stuff like that. THAT IS NOT GOOD!! On the artic silver website they say the best removal item is WD-40. I never cleaned up after I just dried it off the core and the processor.

Comment

Its prolly a good clean for anything besides a PCB board or a processor for that matter. Its prolly good to remove it off a table, case or anything else with WD-40. I use alcohol...it removes pretty fast and the evaporation time of alcohol is almost instant.
                - Damien

Comment

Maybe WD-40 followed up with Alcohol or Acetone? Sounds promising. :)
                  Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                  My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
                    Maybe WD-40 followed up with Alcohol or Acetone? Sounds promising. :)
                    I have used acetone in the past but made the packaging of the Athlon & Socket P3's a bit dull and sometimes a little gummy. For me rubbing alcohol with swabs do the trick quite nicely.

Comment

acetone eats through plastic ! and it dries your hands...: peace2:
                      are cpus made of ceramic ? i think so, i hope so...
                      SPAM Special Ops

Comment

oh, and, WD-40 CREATES RUST !!! if you leave it on metal, it will rust faster. :thumbs do
                        SPAM Special Ops

Comment

I suppose if you use WD-40 you could follow up with TSP (Tri-Sodium Phosphate) it would remove any oil and leave no residue when followed by a clear rinse.
                          TSP is often used to prep a surface for painting because of these very characteristics - great stuff!
                          TSP not available in some areas due to local laws
                          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by E^vol
                            oh, and, WD-40 CREATES RUST !!! if you leave it on metal, it will rust faster. :thumbs do
                            Um are you sure about this? From my point of view wd-40 helps remove squeeks and rust. Or not remove rust but should I say help the item deal with rust. Its a rust intimitor.

Comment

In my experience WD-40 is garbage, if it removes TIM easily it will be the first real use I have ever found for it.

Remember years ago that stuff in the generic silver can - Miracle Mist. That stuff rocked, free a rusted bolt like nobody's business.

Anybody know where I can get some of that??

Comment

Working...
                              X