bent pins on new althon xp 2000+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bent pins on new althon xp 2000+

I bought an Althon 2000+ and a pin on the bottom was bent. Should I return it asap or if I straighten the pin will it work?

i woulr try returning it first, if they won't accept it, bend it straight :\
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Mmm... I've straightened a few pins over years now. :(

Comment

I would bend it to...i have before...but becareful not to do it too drastic and not move it too much if not you will weaken the pin and have it fall off...

That happen to me once with a p3 550...
        - Damien

Comment

make sure you only bend them the bare minimum... as metal is bent back and forth it weakens quickly, and starts to loose some of its conductivity (in this instance where a pin is being bent)

Comment

that is called metal fatigue

Comment

It turns out there were more bent pins so I'll be taking it back. I bought the processor retail with 3 years warranty earlier today. Hey you guys think AMD would replace a Palomino core with the newer Thoroughbred redesigns? I mean Palomino cores are being discontinued and all.

Comment

Depends on their stocks really, they'll move the older stuff 1st. ;)
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I never even thought to check for bent pins...I'll do that "in-store" when I buy mine..
                  SPAM Special Ops

Comment

bend em back if they break then say that they were already off when it was recieved and i have bent so many pins it is unbelievable they hardly ever break off so go ahead and bend em back

Comment

I was going to take it back to the store but turns out they're closed on Sundays. I picked an 80GB HD at another store and the store owner fixed the bent pins for free though I heard his wife shout "5 dollars". :)

Comment

Originally posted by airman3_16
                        I bought an Althon 2000+ and a pin on the bottom was bent. Should I return it asap or if I straighten the pin will it work?

NOW THAT IS WIERD! I had a bent pin on MY retail athlon xp 2000, but the guy working on my motherboard just bent it back to its original position and it works great! Wonder if more pins are bent on AMD processors.....and here I thought that this was just an isolated incident!
                        Here are my specs:
                        System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Comment

I've seen plenty of bent pins on Intel ones too. :D

It happens now and again and is usually caused by handlin' durin' the shipping of them. ;)
                          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by webe3

NOW THAT IS WIERD! I had a bent pin on MY retail athlon xp 2000, but the guy working on my motherboard just bent it back to its original position and it works great! Wonder if more pins are bent on AMD processors.....and here I thought that this was just an isolated incident!

Hmmmmm......I wonder if placing them (the pins) into styrofoam would help keep them from being bent???
                            Here are my specs:
                            System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Comment

Working...
                            X