No announcement yet.

Question about removal of Artic Silver.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about removal of Artic Silver.

Tomorrow i will remove my Intel stock fan and heatsink and replace it with my Volcano 7+.
    The thing is when i mounted the stock fan and sink i used artic silver on my cpu, will this be hard to remove from the cpu after some days of use? I would like to make the cpu clean before applying some new compound and the volcano.
    If so, how can i remove the old compound?

:geek:

Originally posted by The__tweaker
    how can i remove the old compound?
    Here are the instructions. Scroll down to the bottom for removal info.

Comment

ya that's where I got the instructions for removing it. Its really not as difficult as the instructions make it seem. All I did was stuck the end of a q-tip in the nozzle of a wd-40 bottle and sprayed it just to get the tip fairly wet. Then just rub down on the processor and make sure all comes off. I never saw a pentium 4 upclose but I guess form the looks of the lettering on the heat spreading metal plate it looks like its etched it so make sure the as comes out of those little grooves. Then you just dry it off and make sure all wd-40 comes off. I since found out that wd-40 was oil based. Not good if it stays there. It'll effect heat transfer severely.

Comment

Very simple...Q-tip and Alcohol...

Rub until its gone and yes the older the AS gets the more viscous it becomes.

Just make sure the alcohol is completely dry which will prolly take 2 secs...but wait a minute just in case.: peace2:

BTW stay away from anything that has oil or is oily to the touch...alcohol will work great.
        - Damien

Comment

Complete Instructions:

Removal Instructions (From Hardware)
          1. Arctic Silver thermal compound can easily be removed from hardware using the proper cleaners and tools. For general clean-up, a cloth or paper towel will work well. Intricate cleaning can be accomplished with Q-tip swabs. An old toothbrush can often get the compound out of crevices that other tools cannot reach.
          The recommended cleaners are:

CPU Core:

Use isopropyl alcohol or acetone (nail polish remover) and a bit of careful rubbing.
          (If you use acetone, do a final cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.)

Heatsink:

Use xylene based products (Goof Off, some carburetor cleaners and many brake cleaners.) or mineral spirits.

Remember:

Once you have applied a thermal grease or melted a thermal pad onto a heatsink, it is impossible to remove all of the grease or pad from the microscopic valleys in the heatsink using standard cleaning chemicals and paper or fabric towels. Any subsequent thermal material will be applied over the remnants of the original material.

Never use any oil or petroleum based cleaners (WD-40, citrus based grease removers and many automotive degreasers) on the base of a heatsink. The oil, which is engineered to not evaporate, will fill in the microscopic valleys in the metal and significantly reduce the effectiveness of any subsequently applied thermal compound.

Comment

I'd be careful with acetone. Methanol will do the job just as well (as long as you do not drink it ;)). Microscopic residues will not do any harm. But you should notice the thermal compound is suspected to cause cancer so take care.

Comment

wait hold up which thermal compound can cause cancer.

Comment

Working...
              X