Gigabyte GA-VRXP & AMI BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-VRXP & AMI BIOS

Hey wiggo, I've been looking all over net for a bios setup guide for this mb. I'm still messing around trying to optimize, but was wondering what your bios settings were. oor do you know a tweak guide that discusses tis bios?

thanx.

FWIW, I haven't seen any BIOS "cheat sheets" on this MB, probably because no 2 people put the same components on it.

I'm running the set up listed below, and I've tried overclocking the FSB and optimizing the RAM settings. The fastest *stable* set-up I found was a FSB of 139, and RAM timings of Ultra, SPD off, Latency 2, 1T. To get this, however, I had to bump the c-voltage up by 7.5% which took my temps from 37 to 46 (idle), and from 41 to 55 (full throttle). And, not only was it hot, but my adaptec pci scsi card did not like this FSB setting at all. Not good.

Frankly, I'm not a gamer so in my real-world apps (Photoshop and Office) there was zero measurable difference. Thus, I ran everything back down: I put the FSB at 135, and merely tweaked the RAM to Fast, 333, latency 2, and left the rest at full default since nothing else would work without bumping the c-voltage and heating everything up. With these settings, I've been up and running for almost 3 weeks and not a single burp. The adaptec card is happy again too.

Without unlocking the CPU and going to more dramatic cooling, there just isn't a whole lot of overhead with this cpu/mb combo.

Antec 880 (430w Antec PS)
    Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (Ver. 2)
    AMD 2200 XP
    1.5GB of Corsair 2700Cas2 XP RAM (3x512)
    Volcano 7+ Cooler
    120GB WD, SE
    80GB, WD, SE (used as Scratch disk for Photoshop and backup)
    ATI Radeon 8500 - 128mb
    Liteon 332x12x40 CD-R/RW
    Pioneer DVD
    Mitusmi floppy
    Coolermaster round IDE cables
    No RAID - rather, all devices on their own separate IDE channels

Comment

Working...
    X