Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-EX58A-UD3R CPU Fan rpm reading fluctuates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58A-UD3R CPU Fan rpm reading fluctuates.

Using the EX58A-UD3R with an i7 930 and Windows XP Pro running in ACHI mode on the Intel Ich10R. I'm using the Noctua NH-U12P Cpu cooler with one 3 pin fan, Cpu Smart Fan enabled and set to auto in bios. I was running the stock cooler for a bit with it's PWM fan and never noticed any problem with rpm fluctuation. Upon installing the Noctua I immediately noticed that the Cpu fan rpm reading would fluctuate between 0 rpm and 1320 rpm (the noctua fans upper limit) I can sit and watch this happen over and over, 1320 rpm for a few seconds, then 0 rpm for a second or two. Tried disabling Cpu Smart fan and the same thing happens. Just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed behavior like this with thier Noctua or other 3 pin fan cooler.

Re: GA-EX58A-UD3R CPU Fan rpm reading fluctuates.

Try setting the fan to PWM or voltage instead of Auto. PWM shouldn't work or matter since it is a 3 pin fan, but it might. Voltage would be the default since it is a 3 pin fan, but go ahead and try this setting as well.

Disabling smart fan control should make the fan run at 10% always, so if it does not then your fan is likely faulty. You do have it plugged into the CPU fan header correct, not SYS_Fan2?

Comment

Well my board always defaulted to PWM even though i have a 3-pin fan, which made the fan run at maximum all the time. Set control to Voltage and it should work fine.
      Pro hardware technician for PC, Laptop and Sound equipment.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I should have added that I'm using F5 bios. I did try setting to voltage and that does solve the fluctuations but it runs the fan at 50% which I guess is probably normal, do you guys know if this board is supposed to control speed of a 3 pin cpu fan?. Also with Cpu Smart Fan disabled or set to pwm rpm's fluctuate. I did try another fan and same results. I'm gonna see if i can get a multi-meter on the fan leads to make sure the voltage isn't actually cutting out indicating a bad fan header. Also I did call support and though they tried were not much help. Lastly while on the subject am I correct in assuming there's no System Fan controls at all with this board ?

Comment

theres only two four pin pwm headers on a ud3 i think,ones cpu and other is system2,that way you can set to voltage or control just the cpu fan speed in easytune,3pin fans will run at full speed
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yes it is normal. In Voltage mode the board can control a 3-pin fan according to temperature. Of course, like the above poster said, you can also control it manually with EasyTune.
            Pro hardware technician for PC, Laptop and Sound equipment.

Comment

When you see it running only at 50%, your CPU fan I mean, that is normal as said above.

Put it under a load like LinX or Prime95 and you will see it go up in speed for sure, then you will know it is working.

Since you have 3 pin fans then go ahead and set it to Voltage

Comment

Working...
              X